1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Hypnotherapy and Phobias

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Oct 8, 2008.

In the next year or so I am going to have to have a few injections for cervical cancer and am really pertified, so I have been looking up hypnotherapy. Basically I cannot make head or tail of a lot of stuff on the internet, and was wondering if anyone had any information about hypnotherapy.

Also, I am shocked to see a list of differnt phobias .... some are so wieerd. For example:

Dutchphobia - Fear of the Dutch.
    Geniophobia - Fear of chins.
    Xanthophobia - Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow.
    Anablephobia - Fear of looking up.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Arachnophobiaphobia — the fear of people who are afraid of spiders
    Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - the fear of long words
    Luposlipaphobia — the fear of being pursued by timber wolves around a kitchen table while wearing socks on a newly-waxed floor

And I dunno about hypnotherapy, but I've heard of it being used for people quitting smoking. I've heard that it's only effective for a few months, but in that sense it could work for your jabs.

3. Heather Louise

I didn't know that, thought it was a permanent thing.

My thoughts were, if it doesn't work, then I've lost a bit of money but that's all. If it works, then great.

However, I don't know if I want someone messing aruond with my mind if it has risks.

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I watched a documentary on hyonotherapy, well not exactly hypnotherapy, but this man went to the dentist.
    And the dentist did the whole procedure while the patient was hypnotized instead of the stuff they use to numb your gums.

So its possible.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is gonna sound kinda' messed up, but I am sure they would give you something to 'relax' you prior to the procedure if you asked.

I had to have a CAT scan done and they happily handed over some Xanex. ;)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't forget coulrophobia - the fear of clowns

Hypnotherapy can help with phobias, but i can depend on what the origin of the phobia is. If there was a deep trauma that precipitated the phopia (such as in major abuse cases), forcing the person to override the phobia can backfire, building up even stronger defenses. This is true even if hypnosis is used to lower the barriers.

But I wouldn't think your injection phobia is from anything so extreme. so hypnotherapy may be effective in a small number of sessions.

7. yfc54

yfc54 New Member

Hi H

Surprised you didn't think to ask me. I'm a qualified Hypnotherapist. So any info you need just drop me a line(the same goes for anyone else who has any questions on hypnosis or related subjects)

You are right when you say that there are some wierd phobias out there. The thing is it can happen to anyone. Let's take a common one as an example. Fear of spiders. Logic tells us that spiders are much much smaller than us and in general offer no threat whatsoever but if as a youngster a spider had crawled across your hand and frightened you it could well develop into a phobia because whenever there is a clash between logic and emotion(for instance you being frightened), emotion wins every time. So even though your mind knows you are not in danger it tunes into that fear you felt at that moment and you suddenly think"AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH Spider.Not GOOD" so your heart starts to race and you want to run like crazy in the opposite direction.

That's a very simplifed explanation but it shows how easily things can develop.

So drop me a note and I'll see how I can help you

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think my fear of spiders comes from too much Discovery Channel. I had no fear of picking them up when I was a kid, but overexposure to D.C. specials about Australian Funnel Web spiders has made me reach for my combat boots again. :redface:

9. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I have a phobia of dentists <odontophobia, dentophobia>,(which is only recent, but its getting bigger by the month, so this is interesting.

Spider wise - im just glad i dont live in iraq and live with those camel spider/scorpions, i dont think a combat boot would be enough against one of those!

10. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Heather, I'm afraid I don't know anything about hypnotherapy, but you're right about the phobias. There are some crazy ones out there. I share your fear of needles. Being pregnant was hard on me because it seemed like I was always getting blood drawn or IVs stuck in me...

11. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, those are some good ones.

Today I saw a clip from a show where a girl was deathly afraid of PICKLES. They brought in a plate of them and she went bolting out of the studio just terrified out of her wits. It's quite bizare what can happen to the human mind.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

off topic a bit, but I've always wondered why names of phobias are always so... strange!? :confused:

13. Banzai

They're usually latin, or greek.

14. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

more like gobbledeegook!

15. Cogito

It's so the name of the phobia doesn't scare the person with the phobia! ;)

16. Banzai

Fails with Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia then :p

17. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Whoever named Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia really is a bully!

18. Cogito

They figured that by the time the sufferer finished reading the name, he or she would be desensitized to it.

19. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I have ballistiphobia - A fear of missiles. I can't walk anywhere near a nuclear missile base without going coo-coo for coco puffs :p.

20. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

The injection itself doesn't hurt

afterwards though it feels like you've been corked in the arm

lol

21. Heather Louise

Tried it, the docotr gave me some diaipan, and a lot of it as well as it was the same dose my psycho mam is on, and that still didn't relax me. I spent 40 minutes bawling my eyes out and being a general freak, and I cannot go through that another three times in such a short period of time.

Thanks love, I completly forgot you were a hypnotherapist. And they say old people have bad memories.

And I don't know where most of my fears come from, I just dislike spiders being in my room when I sleep as someone told me that you swallow a few a year while you sleep. *shudder*
    And needles, I have been scared of since I had an blood test a few years ago. Never had any before that really.

I know, it is stupid really as I have had my ears pierced, have fallen and cut open my leg and loads of stuff and yet a tiny needle really bothers me :(