1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hypnotism

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, May 27, 2007.

I recently deicded that I was going to quit smoking, but wanted to find a method that would stop me from taking the habit back up again.
    After speaking to a friend over the matter she told that I should go and see a hypnotist. Aparently you go to two sessions costing $90 each session and you never smoke again.
    My aunty and uncle both did this and have not had a cigarrette for quite a few years now.
    It is also meant to work for other things, like conquering reoccurring nightmares and so forth.

What do you all think about this? I am not sure about it all, I mean can one really be hypnotised? Has anyone here ever been hypnotised before fr any reason?

Maybe I am just too much of a sceptic, but I really don't believe in hypnotism. What are your thoughts on hypnotism?

~Torana

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Never needed to dabble with this kind of thing.
    Nor do I wish to play with the Brain patterns of my thinking conscience.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

i say go fro ti. i have actually been considering getting hypnotised into not fearing needles any more as i am terrified of them, so much that i passed out last time the dentist got close to my mouth with it, haha. the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and you've wasted $180, but that will be a well spend $180 dollars if it means you never smoke again.
    Heather

4. Torana

Yeah but I kind of feel the same as Hulls Raven on this which is the only problem. I mean it is a pretty freaky thought having someone play with your thought patterns like that.
    I don't know if I'd be able to do it, although I do know from my relatives that it does work, I just don't like the thoughts of this person playing with my head really.

5. Raven

Raven Banned

The way I see it. its playing with your Brain conscince and I'd rather not.

6. Heather Louise

i don't know. it either works or it doesn't. i mean, do you beleive that hypnostism does work? or is whether or not it actually works that you are sceptical about? it is one of those things that you just have to decide whether to take the risk or not on it.
    you say it is freaky having someone play with your brain thoguhts? but is it not the same as having brain surgery, or any form of surgery for that matter? in each case they are entering your body, whether spiritually or physically, and changing something about it. the way i see it is that it is the same as any other form of surgery, only slightly safer, because i fail to see how it can go wrong. if anything i would be scpectical about whether it actually makes a difference, or is just some guy trying to rip you off.
    Heather

7. Raven

Raven Banned

Maybe.

But the way I see it its not the entering your body in the same sense as brain surgery its someone entering your Brain thoughts consciousness and I think thats best left the way it is. fears and phobias are what make us the people we are.

8. Torana

I don't know really, I guess I just dont like the thought of someone having that power over me really.

9. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Hypnotism is just a state of extreme relaxation. But I would never let anyone I didn't trust completely hypnotise me. My psychology teacher said it's unwise to let someone mess around with your mind.

Plus, wouldn't you feel proud if you counquered your addiction by yourself AND saved money?

10. Heather Louise

if you don't feel comfertable with it then i suggest don't do it. you have to be 100% relaxed and positive about it i think, otherwise it won't work. like they say when a person is dying on the operating table, they have to want to live to live. if they don't really want to accept the heart, for example, then their body will not accept it. that's just my opinion anyway,
    Heather

11. Torana

Thanks heather for your opinion and yeah I agree with you totally.

12. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I sort of agree on this one. The things that are easy aren't worth doing... I wouldn't recommend taking hypnotism as an easy option.

However, we are talking about your health here and I guess its better to be hypnotised than to wind up with one of the illnesses associated with smoking.

I do strongly believe hypnotism does work, and have seen it performed on my dad who wanted to stop smoking. I wouldn't let anybody who I didn't trust hypnotise me, and I don't trust anyone that much really.

13. Heather Louise

thats not a problem, i hope i was of some help :D
    Heather

14. Raven

Raven Banned

I have to say id never trust anyone enough to play with my Brain waves for help or not. I like been imperfect. Makes me Human. :)

~Raven.

15. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I don't like being imperfect, but I know that even if I fixed everything I disliked about myself right now, i'd find new things and i'd never be happy.

Whilst I dislike being imperfect... i'm glad that I am who I am, and I wouldn't try to change myself any more because the more I change the less happy I am with who I become.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have both been hypnotized and found i can 'do' it for others... it cured my fear of heights and a few other things... the hypnotherapists taught me self-hynosis techniques that i've found helpful in the years since...

then, i discovered i could fairly easily induce hypnosis in others, to help them learn what caused certain behaviors and so on... plus more, that i won't go into here... anyone wanting details is welcome to email me...

love and relaxing hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

17. Raven

Raven Banned

Fair play to you maia its just not something i like, i guess my imperfections make me feel Human. Even though my wife thinks other wise

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As Alice said, hypnotism is nothing more than a profound state of relaxation. As such, it will require that you deeply trust the person inducing the state.

It's not magic. What it can help with, in the right hands, is helping you discover what is preventing you from being able to quit. Knowing the barrier can help you remove it.

HOWEVER, barriers are not placed gratuitously. Depending on the reasons your mind has erected a barrier, you may find that attempting to remove it is in itself traumatic, in which case you will only establish a new barrier, quite possibly more disruptive than the previous one. That is the risk from hypnosis.

If you can find out without hypnosis what is standing between you and quitting, you will be better off.

19. Raven

Raven Banned

Maybe so but i like my brain waves the way they are.

20. Torana

Well I guess it is something to think about anyways and thankyou everyone for your opinions, they are all greatly appreciated and really do help me with this.

Thankyou kindly

~Torana

21. Frost

Frost Active Member

Hyptontism is like a pseudo-medicine. It'll only work if you believe it will work. Thats how I see it anyway.