1. hvb

hvb Member

historical fiction

Discussion in 'Research' started by hvb, Jan 20, 2014.

Probably one of my favourites as a reader. Especially when you feel they are impeccably researched. Which brings me to the question: how do you research the period you are writing about?
    Google? local Library? or think it is so long ago, no one cares anymore?
    I am actually personally really interested in the daily life of historical periods as against what we already know about the kings, queens, and anyone who wants to be one of those.
    What were their kitchens like, how DID they sew those gorgeous outfits and who sewed them? Where they ever laundered? How? And those who sewed them, how did they live? What did they eat, how did they get their food? How did the common people live?
    Any takers?

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I could recommend several sources of 'social history' which is what you're after here ...but only for specific periods. What periods are you particularly interested in researching? (The more specific you can be, the better.)

For starters, though, put 'history of everyday life in____" (whatever period and location you want) into Google, and see what comes up. Lots will come up.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'creative' googling is the key to getting the most relevant hits and fewest irrelevant ones...

I'd also advise making use of amazon's 'advanced' search engine and finding books that deal with the time period and locale you're writing about... check both fiction and non...

and, if you are near enough to a good public or university library, make use of their computerized 'card catalog' as well...

then, there's the loc website... the library of congress has a 'reference librarian' you can ask for info and get an emailed response... thank your tax dollars for the service... even has a chat option!
    http://www.loc.gov/rr/askalib/

4. hvb

hvb Member

Thanks all. For now, I will continue with my current project, but this can be one that I can start research on. My visual art background is textile, could write a story from the POV of a seamstress. Probably been done before, but then, what hasn't. Period? Probably 1500-1600, such an interesting time. Where DID they get those beads and the sewing machine wasn't going to be invented for another 3 centuries. No electricity, all done by day light or candle light.
    Re Library of Congress: your tax money, I live in Australia which hadn't been discovered yet either.
    I was born in Holland, the "Golden Century" lots of sumptuous fashions there. Lots of beautiful hand made lace from Belgium was used in both countries ( as well as the other European ones).
    So much to inspire!