1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Frustrating computer problem, please help me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mallory, Apr 20, 2011.

So I'm having this problem where the volume-controller icon isn't showing up on the bottom right (you know, in the panel that has the time and etc). I right clicked properties, then notifications, and there's a menu that says which icons to always show...volume is an option but it's grayed out and not letting me click it and I don't know why. I'd like to clarify that the problem isn't with the speakers, it's with the fact that the volume controlling option is not visible. I have a Windows PC if that helps. This is really frustrating, please help me. Thanks.

2. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

1. Make sure the speakers are plugged into the computer and power (if they are separate)

2. Shut down and restart your computer if you haven't

3. Make sure your audio drivers are up to date

4. If they worked before and suddenly don't now, you might try rolling back your computer to before its most recent update (which may have happened without your knowledge)

Pretty standard tech-support answers, yeah, but you never know when one of these basic steps might fix it. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do unless I could personally sit down with your PC and work on it.

Also, you'd probably have better luck trying a forum (or a friend) which is actually designed around technical discussions. We writers aren't necessarily the most tech-savvy bunch, though there are nerds among us *raises hand*

1 person likes this.
  3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Restarting it fixed it! Thanks! +Rep points for you!

4. Cynglen

Cynglen Member

Awesome! Glad to have helped!