I am working on a scifi concept.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Acrimen19, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Then what is the point of this forum? Why are we here?

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Er ... what part of 'If you have a problem with some part of your writing and need some feedback to help you solve it, that's a different thing altogether and it's what we're here for" didn't you understand?

3. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

So we're not here to collaborate. Is that it?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

exactly!!!

fyi, 'collaboration' means one shares the author credit/ownership [and profits!] of the property... and if you need to have basic plot/character ideas provided for your story/novel/screenplay by others, then you're not really being its sole author, are you?

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Sometimes you get stuck and run out of ideas. Hearing someone else brainstorm can give a fresh perspective. You still have to do the hard work of adapting the ideas to your own story - the brainstorming is just to get your own brain going.

6. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Is there anything wrong with people helping each other brainstorm? I would be happy to help another writer do this. I am not in it for the money, at least not at this point in my life.

7. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I am in need for one thing. Its just one little detail. I need a legit name for the robot species. I dont nessesarally want to call them just robots. I want a special name.

I wanted to call them cybernoids. But I realized that name was taken.

Any ideas. That all I need so far.

8. Biffa001

Biffa001 New Member

Cynetorgs (slang 'torgs) - "C"yber"N"etic "O"rganisms

1st thing that came to mind - probably terrible but gets the ball rolling :)

9. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I like the cyne part. I actually have been thinking of cyne being part of it.

10. Biffa001

Biffa001 New Member

Cynetics?

11. Newfable

Newfable New Member

I missed something. Since when is a name taken, therefore unusable, in your own story? Copyright infringement, but that's a maybe (or I just haven't read the book titled Cybernoids yet.).

In the interest of getting back on track and falling away from the philosophical notions of why a forum exists: if you're dealing with the theme of pride, but robots are trying to take over humanity (or something similar), you may want to attack the issue from the robot's point of view, which usually remains undeveloped in some areas. We've seen robots simply want to exist, we've seen robots develop feelings and call themselves human, we've seen robots feel that they're superior to their human creators. But what would make a robot feel prideful of doing what it does? It's a "ghost in the machine" literary mechanic that I've seen very little of, and it'd be very interesting to develop the idea.

Just one thought out of many.

12. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

cybernoid is a video game. To be honest, I dont get your point. i kind of do, but i am a little confused.

13. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

ok, so I'm getting the feeling your saying it would be unlikely a robot would feel prideful. robots are created to be like human. I see the problem i think.

Actually I would love to contact threw mail if possible. So i do not leave this forum hanging.

14. Newfable

Newfable New Member

No, not at all. Sorry that I may have been a bit confusing.

What I meant was that the concept of prideful robots hasn't been explored in any fiction I've read so far (it may have been done, just outside of the literature I've read). It's not a matter of right or wrong, but more along the lines of very few attempts. While it may be unlikely, it's also sci-fi, so the sky's the limit so long as you do it well.

And if you want to call the robots in the work cybernoids, do so. There's nothing wrong with having things under the same name or classification as another piece of creative work. The problem lies in there being far too many "convenient" similarities between your cybernoids and any other cybernoids that might exist. Having similar names is nothing to be worried about (unless the name itself is under copyright, trademarked, or holds any other form of rights to it; I may be wrong on this point, so someone correct me if I am).

15. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

Ok, i see. yet i think doing it in the robots point of view might make the humans seem like there are perfect. a little unrealstice, but thats just my opinion.

16. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

i will have to write it and see what you think.

17. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

wait what do you mean by a robots point of view?

18. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

Ok, this is a perspective of man and robot to show there simularities and nature.

Coincidental similarities in a division of a different worlds may as well save the life of two species, Both in the mind and body. A nation made by man known as the cyber plague which is centered on the Cybernoid robot’s are now controlled by a virus which has corrupted them. This other man made being is the cause of a separation between man and robot due to this virus which caused robots to rebel against there makers.

One robot named Gus 91 feels unsatisfied with his actions over the years and wants to return to human society. He has been having dreams over the years to meet with man ever since his mind changed from being clueless of his prideful actions to realizing the flaw. Gus has escaped from Cybernoid society and has made way to find the society of man.

One man named Blake Harris has always been a hater of Cybernoid’s has no interest of helping them and would much rather help his country. Blake has a job as an inventor and was assigned to end the virus which has caused the us to be in peril. Accepting the job he is warned to be pure in order to be transparent from Cybernoid’s. Yet this might all change.

Gus is captured and taken to a big city. He is locked up and chained by a man named Blake Harris. He reveals that he is one of the inventors of Gus’s kind yet regrets what he did. Gus then is taken to court and is sentenced to complete shut down. Yet Gus tries everything he can to escape and doesn’t give up.

A whole bunch of robots talk about Gus back at the Cybernoid village. They plan to find gus in order to stop him from revealing the layer of there kind. The enemy worries most about Gus making the other robots rebelling against him. He eventually sends a floating hover droid to find them.

In his cell, Gus hears a familiar sound and tries to get out, yet is taken to be shut down earlier then scheduled. He eventually escapes and runs away. Yet Blake sees him and is about to blast him. The object sees the action and is about to kill Blake Harris. Gus then saves blake and tells him he can help take him to the city he wants to go too to stop the virus.

The two of them agree to go. The two of them realize there similarities and agree to work on them both. They soon find the facility and struggle to find a way to shut down the virus. The robots also find out that the virus is evil seeing the action he does to Gus and Blake. The two of them team up and shut down the virus making the robots realize what they did wrong making them part of society again. With a changed government and redeemed robots, robot and man can live together with a future ahead of them.

Comments?

19. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Cyne-icals?

20. Biffa001

Biffa001 New Member

sounds like robotic testicles...

21. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

What do you guys think.

I have been changing and altering the concept. Its having major problems. It might be cause the idea has already been done before or something.

This is what I have so far.
    Coincidental similarities in a division of a different worlds may as well save the life of two species, Both in the mind and body. A nation made by man known as the cyber plague which is centered on the Cybernoid robot’s are now controlled by a virus which has corrupted them. This other man made being is the cause of a separation between man and robot due to this virus which caused robots to rebel against there makers.

One robot named Gus 91 feels unsatisfied with his actions over the years and wants to return to human society. He has been having dreams over the years to meet with man ever since his mind changed from being clueless of his prideful actions to realizing the flaw. Gus has escaped from Cybernoid society and has made way to find the society of man.

One man named Blake Harris has always been a hater of Cybernoid’s has no interest of helping them and would much rather help his country. Blake has a job as an inventor and was assigned to end the virus which has caused the us to be in peril. Accepting the job he is warned to be pure in order to be transparent from Cybernoid’s. Yet this might all change.

Gus is captured and taken to a big city. He is locked up and chained by a man named Blake Harris. He reveals that he is one of the inventors of Gus’s kind yet regrets what he did. Gus then is taken to court and is sentenced to complete shut down. Yet Gus tries everything he can to escape and doesn’t give up.

A whole bunch of robots talk about Gus back at the Cybernoid village. They plan to find gus in order to stop him from revealing the layer of there kind. The enemy worries most about Gus making the other robots rebelling against him. He eventually sends a floating hover droid to find them.

In his cell, Gus hears a familiar sound and tries to get out, yet is taken to be shut down earlier then scheduled. He eventually escapes and runs away. Yet Blake sees him and is about to blast him. The object sees the action and is about to kill Blake Harris. Gus then saves blake and tells him he can help take him to the city he wants to go too to stop the virus.

The two of them agree to go. The two of them realize there similarities and agree to work on them both. They soon find the facility and struggle to find a way to shut down the virus. The robots also find out that the virus is evil seeing the action he does to Gus and Blake. The two of them team up and shut down the virus making the robots realize what they did wrong making them part of society again. With a changed government and redeemed robots, robot and man can live together with a future ahead of them.

22. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I think ther might be the style mix or something. Like oil in water.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

till you actually write it and we can see how it goes, we can't really give you an opinion on whether it'll all work or not...

24. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

Several years ago there was a movie called AI:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212720/

Having worked for many years with abused children and adults who were I loved the AI Teddy Bear in the film. It wasn't overtly said, but you could tell the bear was programmed to look out for kids and protect them. I imagined toys like that in real life who would secretly call the cops if the kid was being abused somehow.

On the flipside, there's an Eddy Murphy movie where he plays a vampire. He comes upon a religious rally, and shapeshifts into the preacher. He gets up there and starts talking about goodness and then begins twisting the message until he gets the crowd to start cheering for sex and they're saying, "Ass is good! Ass is good!" And, I laughed if no one else did.

I told those two stories because I believe if we have AI levels robots walking around society could be a better place. I think many people act out because they've had little love and friendship, and an ethical AI could provide that. But, what would happen if said AI were effectively sociopathic? A "functional sociopath" is a person who is charming, seemingly good, but really out to use the hell out of people. Thus, you AI buddy would be "playing you" to be against others while doing things to benefit themselves.

25. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I am planning to draw pictures to visualize what is going on. Its helping pretty well.