1. KamiKazi

KamiKazi New Member

I can't seem to figure out the posting thing

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by KamiKazi, Jul 4, 2011.

I have posted a few threads that I thought were in direct response to other posts but I looked back and they are just kinda willy nilly . . . Anybody know of simple mistakes noobies like myself make that causes this problem? I apologize for screwing things up if I did . . .

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it would help to know what it is that you call 'willy-nilly'...

first of all, a 'thread' is a totally new posting that will then have reply posts added to it, but would not be 'in direct response to other posts'... and a 'post' is what you would add to an existing 'thread' [like this one]... confusing the two may be what is causing your problem...

are you using the 'post reply' button at the top of the page?... or the 'post quick reply' box at the bottom [which is how i added this]?... or clicking on 'go advanced' at the bottom first and posting your replies from that?...

or are you clicking on the 'new thread' button at the top of the list of threads in that section?

3. KamiKazi

KamiKazi New Member

I thought I had the difference between "post reply", "new thread", and "start new thread" down pretty good - somehow though I managed to post a response to one author in the same thread in which I had posted a response to a different author. Was it just putting all my posts in a single place so I could view them all at once? Forgive my ignorance, I'm not exactly "techno savvy"!

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

First of all, I apologize, but I don't really know what you mean. Are you having problems understanding the difference between a thread and a post? If so, it's quite simple. If you go to a sub-forum (in this case 'Suggestions and feedback'), you will see a list of threads. If you click on one, you will see all the posts that belong there. To make a simple example:

Thread
    Yeah, I know, that didn't make any sense. :redface: But what I mean is when you click 'New thread', you are making a thread like this one where you ask about posting. When you click 'Reply', you are creating a post under a thread. (like I am doing right now.)

However, you can also click 'Quote' if you want to quote a post for some reason. This will start a new post under a thread and include the post you wanted to quote.

I hope that made some sense and answered your questions. But if you have more questions, just ask. :)

5. Venusian31

Venusian31 New Member

I think I understand what you mean. When you post a reply to other people, your reply won't show up directly under the person you replied to, so posts can sometimes seem chaotic and out of order. All posts in the thread show up in the order they are posted.

When replying to a specific person's post, use the Quote button to make it clear who you are replying to. If you want to, you can edit the quoted section to only include the part you are replying to.

By using quotes, we can follow the conversations, even though the posts seem to be out of order when read one after another. Does this help?

6. KamiKazi

KamiKazi New Member

I think I got it! Thanks for taking the time to help me out!