1. Anniexo

Anniexo New Member

Character Naming.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Anniexo, Jul 12, 2012.

Coping this from Writers and Artists yearbook to see what other people think.

I have two families in a story I'm writing, each with a family crest that is the sun and moon respectively. My question is, is it a good idea to have their first names which have sun and moon meanings in them? Or would it be too cliché?

Added info; The two families are royals and don't have surnames that relate to the sun or moon.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

That's up to you. Personally I've never put much into a name other than if I feel that it fits the character or not (and of course, if I like it) - those are my only requirements. Whereas others feel their character names must correspond to the meaning of the novel and sometimes this is actually part of the themes of the whole story. Still there're readers who love to have these little "Easter eggs" and relish in these little details that make the story more of an experience and fascinating for them. There will also be those who don't care, like myself, unless it's really something VERY clever but I'd never research it.

So... all in all - all you have to ask is, how important is it to you, the author? It's your book.

3. MistKestrel

MistKestrel New Member

I agree with Mick.

Some people love things like that, but some peope just like names that fit the character. Personally I love them and I think they really add to the story. I'd say give them names that relate to the sun or moon, but only give it them if it actually fits the character. Don't just give them the name because it's related, it has to fit the character too.

4. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

I like to give names to characters that stand for something or have special meaning as well. I enjoy putting hidden symbolism throughout my story because I like how it gives it more dimension- as Mckk said "easter eggs". :D

5. epicfailpig

epicfailpig New Member

Like Mckk said, it depends on what you'd like to do. Personally, I love names with meaning behind them - when that meaning is hidden, of course. As much as I love hidden symbolism, I like searching for it - a name like Stella, for example, would have a fairly easy-to-find meaning if that character was based off of the stars. Of course, that's my personal opinion, and I'm sure someone would argue that my example is a perfectly viable name. It just depends on how much you want your reader to search for the meaning behind your character's names.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

This can work as long as you're not pushing a name on a character in order to achieve the symbolism. If the names suite your characters and you love them , go for it as it can only add depth. But if the names are awkward , it'll backfire and the attempt at symbolism will be exposed as shallow.

7. Shaun4

Shaun4 New Member

It can work as long as it's right for the characters. For example, what's the personality of the parents who are doing the naming? Would they have gone for symbolic names? Maybe one family would and the other wouldn't, or maybe symbolic naming is a cherished family tradition in both houses. It's really all in how you create their history.

8. charlesvee

charlesvee New Member

I agree with Shaun4. I would add that the sound of the name is important. Veronica vs Mary. Derrick vs Joe. I tend to use common male/female names that are easy to remember and associate with the character. Yeah. Not very creative, but then I want easliy understood. Oh well.

9. luna claire

luna claire Member

I, personally, love it when I can spot the little symbolisms in a story. If the names work for your characters then go with it. You could also use names with colors associated with the sun and the moon. Aurelia/Aurelius means golden, for example and I think Ariana means silver woman or something similar. You could also use the names of constellations, Orion, Andromeda, ect. Or mythological gods and goddesses. It depends on how subtle you want to work in the symbolism too. Somethings most people associate with the sun and the moon, others take a little digging. :)

10. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

I have a love hate relationship with it. I like having characters with names that have symbolism and meaning but it instantly loses it's appeal when it appears forced and crafted, rather than natural. I like names that sound given, rather than planned out by an author. I like subtle symbolism rather than have someone obnoxiously throw it in my face.