1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

I do it every fucking time man...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by naruzeldamaster, Apr 8, 2022.

Every time I try to use the word for making yourself wait patiently I wind up using the word for 'person being waited on by a doctor' ....
    Like what the fuck is so hard about this one in particular?
    I don't mix up Sense and Since
    I don't mix up similar words that often, really.
    But this fucking word, gets me every single time lol
    How do I break this habit?

Not the Territory likes this.
  2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Maybe you don't? And you just note it as a writing 'leak', acknowledge it, and add it to your checklist when you begin editing a manuscript.

I mean, how many instances of 'patient' or 'patience' are there going to be? Just use the 'Find' function, review those sentences and move on. Now you have a first edit ritual.

naruzeldamaster likes this.
  3. naruzeldamaster

Good point, though I do wish my brain wouldn't default to patients every dang time at least haha.
    I find it such an odd thing for my brain to fixate on.
    The other one I fuck up on is spelling restaurant the way you say it outloud.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Mine is spelling some words the British way, like grey, but other words the American English way, like color (only because colour is marked as incorrect by autocorrect systems whereas grey is not). For whatever reason, I like the way that some words are spelled in the British system, but prefer the way other words are spelled in the American system, and I don't like being told I'm not allowed to mix them. I understand not having two different spellings of the same word, but as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't matter if I write "grey" but write "color", or write "theatre" but write "realize".

I'm also really bad about mixing tenses.

Anyway. As Bruce Johnson said @OP, just allow yourself to make a habit of checking for that error in your writing. You can simply ctrl+f for it, unless you write longhand.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Mogador likes this.
  5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I sometimes wonder how many people have weird little bits of information that will not take root in their brains. It took me my whole life to remember how to spell rhythm and camouflage, and I still have to stop and think about whether or not I've done it correctly. I also cannot, for the life of me, decide between lay and lie until I look it up. No trick in the book has ever stuck in my head re: usage of the same, so please, good people, just chuckle gently to yourselves and don't even try.

6. GeoffFromBykerGrove

GeoffFromBykerGrove Active Member

Currently Reading::
    "The Crossing" Cormac McCarthy, “Reality+” by David Chalmers
    manoeuvre. Always manoeuvre. One of my favourite bands is Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and I can never spell it. OMD is a lifesaver.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I mix up good and could if I'm writing too quickly. I don't know why this one trips me up, but it sure does happen. Luckily, I think I catch it most of the time.

8. naruzeldamaster

It's kind of weird tbh, if I play through a game enough times I can remember even the tiniest detail, not enough to speedrun something mind (don't look up the speed runs for games you think would be 'easy' you'll be surprised) but enough that at some point I can finish a shorter game in a couple of sittings.
    Even then it takes a long time for me to fully memorize something small. I always forget that one small key (if you've played the game you probably know which one, if not it's very easy to miss) in the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. I know it's there, I've gotten it hundreds of times, but unless I actively think about it in the moment I forget it exists lol
    Same way with writing, even information like my character's names. and especially juggling location names between projects, sometimes it takes a hot minute for me to remember em if i hadn't worked on that project in a hot minute.

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Yes, that one is a pain in the ass. I hate having to write it for anything fiction or IRL related.
    Probably why I prefer to write about cafe's and pubs to avoid the dreaded word in my stories. :)

Patient patiently waiting needs to learn patience. :)

10. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I think grey is acceptable in American English. The others are very British, though.

11. jim onion

jim onion New Member

I grew up playing RuneScape and reading some fiction or non-fiction written by people from the UK or Commonwealth countries (I think most if not all Commonwealth countries use the British spelling...?), so I am unphased by most British spellings.

12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I always use grey over gray. I like the way it looks, I guess. Except maybe with "grey area" vs "gray area." Not sure if I like the balanced double A's or the unbalanced triple E's. Especially with the 4 letter symmetry of the words, anchored by the R's. It's stupid, but that's how I look at words.

13. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

It usually takes me a few goes to correctly spell "necessary".

14. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I always start with two Cs, or put the double S first.

15. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

for me it is preform and perform...especially when I am typing fast...and it's a hard one to catch because your brain tricks you into reading what you expect to see, not what you actually see. Nor does technology dig you out of the hole since technically they are both spelled correctly...

GenericSNRI likes this.
  16. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Can you program your word processor to automatically replace "preform" with "perform"? I know you can do that in Word.

17. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Probably….I’m just dumb with most MS Office products other than PowerPoint :D

18. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

When I was in school, I had trouble remembering how to correctly spell the word - difficulty.

So my teacher taught a rhyme:

'Mrs D, Mrs I, Mrs F F I, Mrs C, Mrs U, Mrs L T Y'

It cracks me up still to this day thinking about it :D

deadrats likes this.
  19. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I have huge trouble remembering how to spell apperentaly. No wait... that's apparantely with an a after the p. Ah... but no e before l and before the r. So apparently!

Every. Single. Time. I. Go. Through. This.

Why?

Why?!

How do you remember this?!

I have written so much in my life, both in my free time and for College work. No matter how much I type this, I never remember it. Ever.

My whole family suffers from dyslexia, so perhaps I have a milder form of it too. I don't know though, I seem to read books and other things just fine.

20. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I ALWAYS mix up form and from. My mind trips me up every time and puts the wrong one in.

I thought it was part of my functional dyslexia, where one finger gets there slightly before the other one (two-finger typist here), but that doesn't really account for it. Something in my unconscious hates me and always puts the wrong one in and I have to go through and find them all. And of course, they're actual words, spelled right, so the spellcheck won't find them...

J.T. Woody likes this.