1. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

I don't know how to make it interesting!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by SoulGalaxyWolf, Feb 17, 2017.

I have what my mc needs to go forward.
    She has to get through obstacles in order to get out of where she's at.
    The problem is that I dont want to make it draw on. I want to add more conflict to the plot to make it interesting.
    I thought about focusing on another character to add character development, or have someone else to give my mc a more motivating drive to head foward or add tension.
    However, I'm only 3 chapters in my story.
    I'm thinking that I'm over thinking things, worried about how the story feels or what I want readers to think about.

2. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

First rule about writing, drama makes things interesting. Not really anything interesting about two people sitting on a couch now is there, but add a bag of chips that they fight over (drama) makes it interesting. Just add in enough drama and underlying story and backstories. Should help.

Simpson17866 and SoulGalaxyWolf like this.
  3. KellyA

KellyA New Member

Write separate pieces about different characters/plots, from building a relationship with those characters you will form plots and fit them in place.
    I have written about many characters/plots separate and pieced them together like a puzzle, its amazing how they fit themselves in, even when I thought "Where am I going to put this?"
    You have to mentally build the relationships with your characters by seeing them and feeling them. I am 86,000 words into my novel, my characters are now directing me, as though they are talking themselves. I'm now writing things I never thought I was capable of-heartfelt emotion! (I have she'd tears that could have filled my bath tub)
    I haven't created the story I have, they have!
    My book started with the first three pages, I then wrote the end, the middle, back to the beginning, back to the end. I did this by just writing scenes
    Just never give up-keep writing and chase your dream! :)

Rosie L. Parker and FireWater like this.
  4. SoulGalaxyWolf

That's helpful thank you ^-^

5. SoulGalaxyWolf

Thank you very much ^-^
    I'll keepthat in mind :3

Wolf Daemon likes this.
  6. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

You're welcome. After a while it should get easier. Everything always does, except writer's block. Damn writer's block -_- Lol.

7. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Create direct conflict-of-interests between your main characters. Plain old personality conflicts can work too (and provide a lot of entertainment), but conflict-of-interests can be more plot related.

SoulGalaxyWolf likes this.
  8. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

@FireWater has pretty much hit the mark.

Last year I went to London Anime and Games Con, it's a smaller, more intimate affair than the likes of London ComicCon, and in it was some speakers from a small company that made comics talking about developing a brand in writing. In particular, I remember them stating this.

"One of the things that makes Samurai Champloo interesting is that the three main characters do not share motives."

They have to work together, but the two male characters despise each other for different reasons, the girl being the control rod of sorts.

It is rare that people deal with one conflict at once, we have to grow proficient in dealing with things being dealt in different areas of our lives. Perhaps reflecting on this would be a good way to develop a rapport between your MC and your reader.

SoulGalaxyWolf likes this.