1. poy

poy New Member

I don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by poy, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:29 PM.

I'm writing my first book. Here's what I have so far: In a small town during the late nineteenth century, a handsome, wealthy man with no servants moves into a relatively large house that has remained unoccupied for a long time. The mother(a cook because meat symbolism) of the main character, who is sixteen, sends her daughter to the house to bring food to and greet their new neighbor while secretly hoping a bond forms between them and they get married. The girl greets the man, who is a little stoic, but mildly handsome and looks no older than his mid-thirties. Through various events, she becomes smitten with him. The people close to her begin dying one by one by various means, starting with her father. At the very end of the book, he proposes to her in his home and right after she accepts, he bites into her neck and kills her. The next chapter would take place from the point of view an old man who likes to go on walks in the morning. He finds the mangled, dead, naked corpse of the girl being eaten by crows(who will appear a lot in the story before this). The house of the gentleman will be abandoned. The girl is somewhat neurotic and judgmental.

This idea started out as a sort of Twilight, "parody", but now I want to write something that stands on its own merits. I want to show the girl becoming morally corrupt and sort of, "falling". The vampire is an allegory for both sexual predators and vanity. Her increasing infatuation with the man will just have the veneer of a romance, while the story is in fact a tragedy. The problem is that i'm very ignorant and have no clue how to pull this off. Please help.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM
  2. Philliggi

Philliggi Member

Just write it.
    What you write at first will probably be a load of crap, make no sense and have more plot holes than you could begin to imagine, but it will give you something to work with.

Go with the flow. Take each sentence as it comes and you will find it will complete itself.

LoaDyron and Cave Troll like this.
  3. poy

poy New Member

Do you have any recommendations for research? I've read Dracula and Frankenstein. Do you know any good gothic romance? Any thoughts about what I have so far?

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

You could try Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber also you could pick up some good fairy tale collections cause your idea sounds like it has a dark fairy tale quality. There's also a guy who analyzed fairy tales -- The Uses of Enchantment by Bruno Bettelheim he's quite interesting debunking a lot of theories that fairy tales are sexiest.

5. Thundair

Thundair Senior Member

I think you're on the right path. Let your characters drive the story along your plot lines.
    You might even write a summary to high-lite events and misdirection.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Contributor Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    A story is only a series of ideas and concepts,
    until you write it out with all it's actions,
    dialogue, and nuances. Then it will be a story. :)

LoaDyron likes this.
  7. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Senior Member

What you have so far is an idea, not a story. As for research... E. A. Poe

8. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Member

First research about the style you want to write. People on this forum gave you good suggestions for books :)Try to see the concepts of the writers, what made them write the story they did. Secondly, write the story with everything, plot, dialogue, every idea that cross in your mind. Doesn't make sense? No problem, this is your first draft, so many stuff you will change or just cut it later. After you finish yes, you can start to readjust your story. Any doubts? Post here and we will glad to help you. Keep on good work and have fun :)