1. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

The idea dilemma

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by dhampirefangs, Dec 20, 2018.

In this world, there are many novels. Good books and bad books. That number is growing every day. However, I wanna write a vampire novel. But the problem is that the most awesome stories are already written. – And I WANNA write a vampire novel. But I don’t wanna be a copycat. Any tips how to find a “new” plot. I wanna write something where vampires and dhampirs go together to an academy. I know something like that exist already. (*cough* Vampire Academy *cough*) But hey!

2. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Until you come along and write one more awesome!

3. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

@EBohio I can find it awesome. But a fan (from the franchise) would say, "Urgh! You stole it from [Franchise XY]". You know.

4. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello, friend :superhello:

I would suggest for you to make a list of what do you know about vampires in an academy. Write down what was the plot of the story on that books, characters, and themes. After that analyse of what it is missing, in your perspective. Perhaps the books are told on a regular academy? Do the vampires have the same attributes? Which period was the story? Ask yourself questions that will be important to your story. Then after you realized what is missing, write what about it. See how your story goes, experiment stuff, write, write and write. I hope this helps. Keep on good work and have fun :superagree:

Ellara Zemar likes this.
  5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Well, let's see... You know how there have been tv shows about doctors since the beginning of tv? Somebody came up with an idea of a brillant doctor named "House" that was addicted to opioids. Same ole doctor show, but the character was unique and everybody watched.

6. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

@LoaDyron Vampire Academy is kinda a better version of Twilight. However, in the first book, it’s about a dhampire guardian and the princess, who the guardian has to protect. Yeah! A vampire princess and the last of her line. BTW, dhampires are half human and half vampires. But sometimes they’re also half Moroi and half dhampire. Morois are the story’s mortal and good vampires. Strigois are evil, immortal vampires. And ta da! Good transition. Because (Spoiler!) the love interest of the dhampire protagonist turns into a Strigoi while the series. And she tries to get him back.

7. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I'm not familiar with Vampire Academy but if it is like Harry Potter all the author did was write about school as we know it but the kids are wizards.

What if one of these Vampire kids doesn't want to go to the school his dad went to? What if he is flunking out? What happens if a Vampire kid flunks out of Vampire academy? What's he going to do with his life?

LoaDyron and Cave Troll like this.
  8. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

@EBohio It ain’t similar to Harry Potter. Sometimes it was even better than Harry Potter.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  9. LoaDyron

Try instant of being a standard academy, be an academy specific for vampires. Maybe your MC is there by accident? Or does she/he have a vampire as a partner? What kind of subjects does your academy teach? In your world magic is allowed? If it is what rules do your story plays? If isn't allowed why is forbidden? Do the vampires had to hide from the society? If they do, which laws they had established with your government? You see, there's a lot of stuff you can play with :superwink:

10. dhampirefangs

dhampirefangs Member

Well. I’d like if my prota is a dhampire. So, she wouldn’t be there by an accident. I mean: Imagine! You’re a guy/gurl, who is half-human-half-vampire. Either you get bullied if you go on a normal school. Or they would annoy you because they wanna be bitten...

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sitting reading a novel in a comfy chair, as mother mixes up a batch of her
    famous Type-AB cocoa with little marshmallows. Glancing up to the window,
    as the blizzard raged on outside in the vast tundra beyond, a glint in the din
    caught my eye. It seemed to coming closer and closer through the thick snow
    slowly burying our humble home.
    A few more moments after dismissing it as nothing more than a traveler trying to
    get through the intense whiteness to where ever it is they happen to be headed.
    "Vot ty moya doch'," mother broke the silence handing a steaming mug of cocoa
    to me.
    "Spasibo tebe, mama," I smile back, holding the hot mug as steam roils from it.
    Returning to the book, I take a sip and the marshmallows are just the odd textrue
    on my upper lip, almost gelatinous.
    An instant later there was a thunderous thud upon the door, and I nearly spilt
    cocoa down my dress, while the house quivered on it's foundation from the impact.
    "What in the devil was that," mother spoke with a jolt and I sunk into the chair, as
    if to hid in the thick cushioning from what ever was just outside.
    Sinking further into the chair, I listened as mother padded on the wood floor to the
    door.
    "Priv---, Oh my word," mother's voice filled with shock and surprise.
    "Good evening madam," a strong male voice came inside from the bitter cold," May
    I come in, frightfully chill."
    "Yes of course, but aren't you a---," she sounded confused as the visitor entered causing the
    house to shudder from large heavy feet.
    "I understand your confusion madam, and yes I am a polar bear. But on that is not the matter
    of my visit. I am Viktor, and I am here to inform you and your daughter, that she has been
    cordially invited to attend the prestigious Academy for Vampires. Here are the documents
    that will affirm this to you. I shall like to meet the little devuska Luba."
    Setting the book on the arm of the chair and holding my mug of cocoa close like a shield to
    my chest. I tentatively slid from the safety of the chair and to my feet. Nervously I walked
    toward the hulking bear, my gaze high to meet his towering frame in the small entry way.
    He had to stoop to keep from hitting his head on the ceiling, and snow melted and dripped off
    his large coat.
    "Hello there," he smiled down at me and I shuddered a bit, as his voice rummbled through
    me.
    "Hello," I managed meekly still staring at him with a mix of fear and confusion, and I wondered
    about the lantern hanging about his thick neck.

It is not terribly hard to just whip something up, who knows, if I were to continue this short
    off the cuff, it would still be different than HP and any other story involving Vampires.
    Though what would be a good set of skillsets that a Vampire (or Damphir) would learn
    at a school? Perhaps a bit of everything like 'normal' school with some classes that will help
    them develop their Vampire skills too. IDK.
    Good luck and have fun. :superidea:

12. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

If all you're going to do is turn vampires into angsty teenagers with pale skin and a penchant for fresh blood... what's the point? Speaking for myself, there's nothing remotely frightening about young vampires falling in love for the first time, or cramming for final exams, or shooting selfies for their Facebook page. When does a vampire cease to be a vampire? The only vampire novel I've read in recent times that I truly liked, was, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

EBohio, Cave Troll and LoaDyron like this.
  13. LoaDyron

But that's exactly the point! Your character has to feel something. Or she feels rejected, or scared because she being hunted by vampires? Your character has to have a conflict, something that tests her beliefs, or on this case, her hunger for blood. Unless you want your MC to not have a degree, that's another option. Maybe she had to abandon the academy? :supersmile:

I believe there is a movie as well? My friend told me it was a good film. Do you recommend it?

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 3 out of 5

But an interesting point, the OP started the conversation by asking how to come up with new ideas on a familiar plot.

See how the creator of this book then movie put a good twist on an old idea. The logline for the movie is: Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, discovers vampires are planning to take over the United States. He makes it his mission to eliminate them.

I think it's a great example of giving something old a new twist. I mean, who thinks of this stuff.

I mean somebody was sitting around and then the idea hit them: what if Abraham Lincoln was a vampire slayer?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  15. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

This is one of those precious few times in which the movie adaption of a book was watered down. The book is actually more hardcore than the movie. The book is playfully evil, it does murder and mayhem with style. The movie, however, misses the humor and takes itself much too seriously. I can't recommend the movie, but the book is an excellent read. And for anyone contemplating a different take on vampires, it's a perfect place to start.