I don't understand how to eat healthy.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Jul 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. flipflop

flipflop New Member

In the uk everyone pays for our health service through taxes - doctors are generally paid by the number of patients they see and are monitored for there "cure/kill" rates. uk doctors have torn many theories to shreds and not out of financial gain either. The only ones that support these diets are the ones who have the books to sell.

2. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

Unfortunately, there is always someone with an agenda. That is why it is so important to be informed. Read as much as you can from as many places as you can and then make your own decisions. The outcome will bear out the truth, eventually.

3. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

And how long was their life span again?:eek:
    OP Look up the food pyramid that will give u a better idea of what you should be eating to get a ballanced diet!

As for eating x rays... my roots are showing. :p

4. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I don't want to jump into the middle of yall's debate, but I would like to point out that you effectively just discounted the entire process of research. The way we learn is to see what other people have discovered/claimed and weigh it against the library of knowledge we already know.

The largest problem arises when we fail to see our own confirmation bias, and thus weigh one set of data greater than another. The diligent scholar keeps an open mind and constantly challenges not what others believe, but what the scholar themself believes.

It is a whole lot of meat. However, it is accurate. The Lewis and Clark expedition ate 9lbs of meat per person per day:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so pleasantries aside, I think this thread shows why it is so difficult for people to 'get it right'. Look at how many options, studies, reports, and diets exist. FWIW, I think paying attention is the most important thing. I believe that low carb is much healthier, but YMMV.

Hugs and kisses everyone, we are all on the same team here.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Which was the result of many other factors, of course. If you think lifespan was entirely a function of diet for people living in that time, well...look into that.

6. Steerpike

I wouldn't bother, Kyle. The sheer intellectual dishonesty of that tactic should be enough to tell you that conversation is futile.

7. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

Hey Nikki can I get that recipe? do you use a breadmaker or are you like me and still hand kneeding the dough?

lol steearpike, I understand that there are many contributing factor I was asking if you knew the lifespan not debating if your ideas are right or wrong.

8. LordKyleOfEarth

Blue, this is not from a terribly reputable source (yahoo answers :/) but it should give a feeler for age ranges:

9. Steerpike

The lifespan tended to be short by today's standards. That is without a doubt. Infant mortality was high as well. Disease through infectious agents (not processed foods), dealing with predators, accidents, dangerous hunting activities, etc. Wasn't good.

As for diet, most of what I've seen on paleo type diet in terms of effects on the body (looking at blood tests, for example) tend to be in line with things we consider better for people in terms of lifespan. You have to use moderation, though. And you have to realize that the average modern person has a much less rigorous and strenuous life, physically, than a cro-magnon would have had, so you can't go consuming all the same things in the same quantities.

But on the whole I think you're better off. Take Nikki's advice regarding real foods. Eat more meats, fewer grains. You'll be trimmer, as a rule, and your blood sugar won't fluctuate as much, which also reduces risk of problems stemming from that.

10. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

Agreed, any thing is fine in small portions.
    But still the OP was asking for specifics and we hijacked the thread :(

Whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, low fat meats ( please wash fully before eatting ) things like that. again if you can not ID the things in your food it can't be good for you.

11. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

I haven't read the whole thread lol so disregard if it's been answered already.

Should be plenty of eating plans around from health food forums, sites or body building resources.

I live on my own so portion size and buying fresh is not my strong point so I went on a calorie controlled diet where everything is delivered. it's called liteneasy.com.au and so far it's been working for me. I'm down 6kg in 2 months without any other changes to my lifestyle.

But of benefit to the OP is the eating plan. Have a look at the menu structure for meal and snack ideas. There's nothing difficult or complicated about it.

Rule of thumb, avoid processed foods (sandwich meat rolls, supermarket bread, TV dinners etc), include fresh fruit or vegetables with each meal, and make sure the meat portion of the meal is 1/3 the volume of the vegetable portion. Carbs are important but the western diet is overloaded with them, so where possible reduce bread and potato intake.

Moderation in all things is a much better plan than radical veganish style diets.

PS: What do vegan parents feed their newborns??

12. LordKyleOfEarth

Soy Milk?

13. Steerpike

I hope not. I doubt the phytoestrogens in soy would be good for infants to consume in great quantities.

14. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Don't they breastfeed, same as everyone else?

15. Steerpike

Well, that would be an animal product :)

16. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

:cool::)

It's not because I'm facetious... oh wait, yes it is :p

17. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I think we must be misunderstanding the vegan interpretation of a correct diet! Otherwise, vegans would be against the idea that the developing baby is nourished in the womb by the mother's blood and through the placenta...

I don't know what they would do if the newborn had to rely on something else--although there are special formulas for babies with obscure allergies that don't contain cow's milk. IMO, this just shows that these eating notions are pointless in the extreme, even life-endangering. Any diet that totally forbids any animal product of any kind at all for growing children only works with (chemical) dietary supplements, and what's natural or normal about that?

18. art

art Contributor Contributor

Pretty straightforward this.

I imagine that vegans feed their infants animal products to better promote their physical and cognitive development. Then, when, the youngster has some maturity about them, the parents, as dispassionately as they can, put it to their offspring that, simply, there are some diets that do not include animal products and that the child should decide for him or herself what is the most appropriate dietary approach.

In a word, the sort of happy arrangement that obtains in most religious households.

19. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

Blue_Lotus, yes, I hand kneed the dough. I find it...I don't know, fullfilling I guess. I will message you the recipe :)

20. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

I can't stand PETA, they have given all of us veggie people a bad rep :(
    Look I can't speak for all vegitarians, vegans etc...
    But for me I will not use any animal product that had to be killed inorder for me to eat.
    Now my son he loves hot dogs... It is and always will be a personal choice. For me it was an easy one to make, I never liked meat to start with, and even as a child I wished my mom would not force me to eat it.

breastfeeding does not harm anyone (unless you count nipple chapping...) and is exactly as nature intended it to be. Now there are some militant Vegies out there that will brow beat anyone they can reach that their way of life is the only way of life This to me is no diffrent than say a Morman forcing a child into marriage (under 18). Adults and in rare cases some children( 16-17 yrs old) have the information they need in order to make their own decisions, no one should ever force feed a way of life on anyone.

So I for one would like to go on record as sticking my foot out and sticking up for the the veggie lovers because NOT ALL OF US ARE LIKE THE MILITANT PEOPLE.

Side note thanks Nikki I got your PM :D sounds delish!

21. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My first thought is, you don't have to be perfect. You don't need an exact, precise diet. Just improve things. Replace what's bad for you with something that's sort of good for you.

You say that you're eating spaghetti and mashed potatoes for dinner. Those are not particularly good for you, so it's not hard to improve.

If you replace the spaghetti with roasted chicken, that's almost certainly an improvement. If you replace the mashed potatoes with quickly-boiled broccoli with a little melted butter, that's almost certainly an improvement. Finish up with a couple of pieces of fruit, you've had a pretty healthy meal. You can find recipes for roasted chicken and buttered broccoli in lots of cookbooks. Or, to start, you could even pick up the roasted chicken at the grocery and just cook the broccoli.

Next day? You can replace the roasted chicken with a small piece of steak. Replace the broccoli with cauliflower cooked with some olive oil and garlic. If you're feeling hungry for something carb-like, cook some brown rice. Eat some strawberries with a modest amount of sugar for dessert. Another healthy meal, and again there should be recipes for all of these things.

Next day? Maybe you're too busy to cook. So have a turkey sandwich on whole-grain bread with some sprouts, and a salad of sliced cucumber in a vinaigrette dressing. Buy a slice of cut watermelon for dessert.

As for breakfast, fruit and yogurt is a perfectly good choice. If you don't like it, try some different things. Whole wheat toast? A boiled egg? A scrambled or fried egg cooked with a modest amount of butter? Stewed fruit? Cereal with fresh fruit? Oatmeal? All of these are reasonably healthy.

Grab a cookbook. Julia Child's _The Way To Cook_ is one that I go to for very basic methods, like how to cook buttered broccoli, and also for when I get bored with buttered broccoli and want to do something else with it. But if you haven't done much cooking and it looks a little too intimidating, there are plenty of beginner cookbooks.

ChickenFreak

1 person likes this.
  22. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Make sure to get some exercise in. Maybe a mile jog in the morning, and a two mile jog in the evenings. :) Believe it or not, they really help.