1. skibird17

skibird17 New Member

I need help coming up with a suitable murder plot for my story...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by skibird17, Apr 17, 2008.

I'm writing a story purely for my own enjoyment. It's going to be a realistic fiction, but i want to add a thriller/mystery element to it.
    So here's what I have so far: Sixteen- year- old Clara's family used to live in Bristol, R.I. However, her parents divorced, and she, her mom, and brother moved across the country. Right after they left, her dad's neighbor, Charlie Mason's wife died. The two men became close friends (because they both lost their wives.)
    Now, Clara's father has convinced her mother that she should move in with him for the school year. When she arrives, her dad forces her spend time with the Masons, especially the son, Chad. Clara hates the idea of a forced friendship, and it doesn't help that during the first day the families spend together, she manages to embarrass herself in multiple ways in front of Chad, who just laughs. And the one time they actually talked, Chad reminded her (rather cruelly) that, while his mom died, her mom chose to leave. So naturally, Clara detests Chad from first sight. And because she despises him so much, he starts to hate her, too. It becomes a mutual hatred.

Now originally I was going to have the two go on and battle out their problems, but I had a different idea.
    What if something big happened, and they needed to put aside their differences for a while? How would that work?
    The only problem is, I have had a little trouble coming up with something that would work. (like a mystery, maybe... or a murder plot, or a secret in the town..or anything else...). I had one idea- maybe Chad’s mother’s death could have been a murder, and somehow the two teens come across a clue or something. They tell the police, who don't believe them, so the two have to solve it on their own... I don't really know how to write this though, and to come up with a suitable murder plot... (like a reason for the murder) I was thinking maybe something to do with the family history... i don't know.

Any suggestions for the mystery part? Also, is there anything in the beginning of the plot that doesn't work?

2. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

The easiest way, Ive found to do murder. Is to think it out. first. How was she murdered. Stabber? Shot? then were. Plan out ever tiny little detail of it.

I like to write it down in the order I come up with it. Typically I do the smallest things last. Those small things are the clues I end up leaving for people to find. So when i write the murder, the details come out from the bottom of the list to the top. as the book goes on.

But... Why would the girl even care if she hates him so much already? Thats probably going to be the hardest part. At least it would be for me.

3. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

Yea, think about the 5 W's.

Who? (Who killed her?)
    What? (What did the killer use?)
    Where? (Where did the murder take place/Where was the body found?)
    When? (Does the time of day or date matter? If not, still try finding a date)
    Why? (What was the motive?)