1. loonypapa

loonypapa Member

I have a subplot question

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by loonypapa, Apr 25, 2016.

I wrote out a long post, and I just deleted it. Here's my simplified question: at what point does a story with multiple plots become overwhelming? Right now I have three: I have a main story frame with its own plot, and then two other plot lines that occur in different times and places, but matter greatly to the MC's plot line in the main story frame. I'm trying to weave in and out of them, and tell the two other subplot stories concurrently (one chapter for one character, another chapter for the other, etc). I have a good device that brings me back and forth very easily, but I'm worried it's going to be too confusing advancing the two "internal" plot lines at the same time. Or am I overthinking this.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't think that's too much. There are books with a lot more subplots than that. It's all a matter of whether you have the skill to pull it off well or not. Write it that way and see what you think.

3. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

When it's written by George R.R. Martin.

:p

(no seriously, as long as it's well written and relevant to the story, it shouldn't be an issue)

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Three subplots, nah that is not to bad. Having a jumbled mass of subplots that we totally forget the main plot, now that is to many. So I think you will be fine, unless you plan on making your subplots extremely convoluted and complex. Then you might have an issue. Feel better now? I hope so cause that's all I got. D

5. loonypapa

loonypapa Member

The main plot and one of the minor plots are simple hero-falls-in-hole, hero-gets-out-of-hole type of plots. The third one is a new testament-type man-achieves-everything-man-loses-everything-but-leaves-a-legacy plot.