Tags:
  1. writerdude11

writerdude11 New Member

Do you guys find yourselves doing this while editing?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by writerdude11, Apr 4, 2013.

I just got done editing a installment of a series and found myself making MORE changes than there was in the origional editing, this surprised me. Has this happened to anyone else?. If you could reply to this I'd greatly appreciate it! thanks!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Well, everytime me and my writing partner edit our works, we end up changing this and that. I guess that's why they say your novel is never ready. You just gotta let go of it at some point...

3. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

I do this. In my last book i was on the fifth edit when i decided to add another major character to the story as my main character seemed a bit lacking. had to rewrite great chunks of my book to work it in.

4. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

The real writing begins in the second draft. Most great writers edit like lunatics.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Of course this happens. You can't expect to have all your best thoughts about a story in the first draft. Often new ideas, much better ideas than your original ones, occur to you during revisions, and you end up rewriting big chunks of your story just when you thought you were almost done. It's actually an exciting experience when this happens (at least for me).

6. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Took the words right out of my mouth.

7. The Codex

The Codex Member

Well, I just discovered that the device (Computer) has an rather dazzling feature, take for example if someone reads your book in front of you. You would sick worried and now it seems I won't have to burden with that since my "Device" has a speech option where it speaks the highlighted text in a humane voice, and found myself making potential changes as the words don't bound how I would want readers to hear my novels.

8. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

man i am hating editing - I had 60,000 words in ten chapters (half way point or so i thought) scrubbed 15,000 words, added 5,000 - this is my 3rd or 4th edit - my original must have been pure crap or is this normal?

9. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

"The first draft of anything is shit." -Ernest Hemingway

So, yeah. It's totally normal. Your first draft is just you getting all your ideas out of your head and on the page. The second draft is where the real art of writing begins. Virtually all writers, after their first draft, delete huge amounts of stuff that works and adds more that does.

10. Bee Kay

Bee Kay New Member

Generally I have to be really aware of when to slam on the brakes while editing, because I've discovered that if I let myself go on for too long, I'll end up with a story wholly different from what I was trying to achieve in the first place, with barely even its skeleton resembling my initial ideas. Granted, catching that process before it goes too far is how I end up with the foundations of many other stories that I can save for later.

11. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

happens to me all the time it's just you always find new things that you wanna do