1. deadinbed

deadinbed New Member

Is this too complicated?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by deadinbed, Feb 21, 2008.

I want my book to open with a body. A dead body.
    I have two plots for this- one is comedy and one is a bit more dark.
    I've written the first chapter for both of these but I'm not sure which one to devote my time and attention on.

My one worry with the dark plot is that it's too complicated.
    It goes like this;

Markus is the king of the school- you know the type- athletic, attractive, a player. Avery is a beautiful, sexy rich girl who gets what she wants.They should be together right? No.

Markus has his eye on Lizzie. A red-headed nobody. A geek. Kind, considerate but a neek none the less.

What does Avery do? Drugs, seduces and persuades a normal nice boy called Tom to bring out his darker half- the dangerous side of his split personality and get him to murder Lizzie. When Avery wants something she's used to getting it.

Then there's Chip on the side, a boy battling with the idea of coming out, only becuase he's in love with his best friend- Tom.

There's a twist in it however, because Tom fails to kill Lizzie and Avery (slightly derranged) does it herself leaving a very bloody mess. The Novel itself starts out as Lizzie being chased, and we asume it's by Tom as we read the novel only to be revealed its Avery in the last chapter or so.

My Other plot is four best friends (and one of them's little brother) accidently kill a hooker whilst drunk.

They bury her in the woods.

Later, in a wild panic they go back to retrieve the body after watching an episode of CSI where while they send a dog looking for drugs in a the woods they find a body- so the boys decide they should burn it instead.

They did up the body in the night and bring it back to the dorms- only to discover that it's not the girl they murdered and is infact the school dinner lady. Then, a teacher (or someone similar) walks in and catches them all huddled around the dead body. Once caught they still have no idea what happened to the fat, spotty dinner lady who despite being dead still seems to sweat like a pig.The head decides to keep it quiet as it will give the school a bad rep and well, it all kind of carries on from there...

2. writiki

writiki New Member

I don't think that is "too complicated" in any way. It will depend on how you write it, but it can definitely work. There are many books out there with extremely twisted plots that work, and some that have fairly linear plots that don't. I say go for it.

3. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Write both of them as short stories, and see which one you like more.

4. Iulia

Iulia New Member

Not at all. To me, a complicated plot means exercising one's own creativity and cleverness, and if it's got a twisted ending, having all your suspitions proven WRONG! And that's great fun. It also means an intelligent author. Good luck!

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I like Connolly's idea. Write both of 'em, I like both of the ideas.

6. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I'll second what everyone just said.

7. deadinbed

deadinbed New Member

Thankyou :)

8. Its_Chase

Its_Chase New Member

I really like both of these, though I'm leaning towards the first one. I'd love to read what you have of both of them sometime, if you don't mind. You've got me waaay too interested.

9. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Both of them sound like great plots for a story, very imaginitive. I think you should go for it and possibly do both. The first one appeals to me more, as that's more the sort of thing i'd read but the second does sound funny ;)

10. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

yeah write bot and see where it leads, but im kinda curious about that first one...sounds interesting.

11. enigma130

enigma130 New Member

I like the first one. I really don't think theres such thing as a overly complex plot, as long as the story is actually leading up to something and it makes at least a little sense.