1. Astrea

Astrea Member

I humbly announce my arrival... Grin.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Astrea, Jul 24, 2020.

My genre doesn't really fit anywhere. So I've tucked it in under the category of general fiction. There are elements of visionary fiction, magical realism, science fiction, a modicum of r-rated physical encounters, love...etc. In addition to nearly a dozen fiction books, I've written one nonfiction and one kids' book. The kids' book was part of another book, written by the protagonist's mother. I have yet to publish the kids' book. Not sure how is best to go about that. So it's on hold. I've painted the illustrations and the front and back covers.

I live in the boonies with my writer husband. We moved here to write full time. He is studying wildlife and keeping a journal. My goal is to save a world that does not want to be saved. At present I'm writing a work of fiction that includes quantum mechanics and quantum entanglement. The story is complete, and I am rewriting nearly ad infinitum until I get the quantum stuff right. I've been watching a lot of physics documentaries. My next book will be related to loss. I've lost 8 people this last year, several of them close to me. My protagonists will mostly be animals.

I also paint with acrylics, as mentioned in one of the threads. I create my own cover art.

I'm here to pick the brains of those who have self-published. I've only published two through traditional publishers. The rest are through a self-publisher in digital format. I'm also here to make writer friends. We are a different breed that the rest of humanity.

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.

exweedfarmer likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

So, newcomer to the message board, but hardly when it comes to writing. That's a pretty impressive pedigree. Welcome to our humble abode.

4. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

Hello and a thousand times welcome!
    And am I right to assume you, like me, are one to prefer nature over the city?

*written while listening to the clucks of foraging chickens and crowing of cockerels.*

dbesim and Steve Rivers like this.
  5. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Wow, it's rare to find someone writing science-fiction about quantum entanglement. I'll be interested to hear more, if you choose to post stuff about it, that is.
    I always try and keep my enthusiasm for the bizarreness of quantum mechanics quiet, because there's often not many other people who care about it heh. So good on you, Astrea! :)

Welcome to the forums.

Some Guy and Kyle Phoenix like this.
  6. Samlet

Samlet Active Member

So, I'm not the new boy any more - it only took a few days :cheerleader:. Welcome to you, Astrea; I look forward to seeing your work, after you've negotiated the quarantine period. Between you and me, don't trust Xoic - he'll steal your lunch as good as look at you.

7. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thanks.

8. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thanks.

9. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thanks. Yes, I prefer nature. The rest is artificial, cold and empty and disrupts the environment. We are destroying all we need to survive.

10. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thanks. Like I said my genre is mixed, just because that's the way I think. Once the book is complete, I will be willing to talk about it. I've attended writers conferences with the old masters, and they said not to talk too much about your ideas before they are published, because someone can steal your audience out from under you and they will get the attention and sales not you. I believe that. With quantum mechanics and the like, I think the key is to not over explain, to show not tell allow it to seep into the story. I'm working on the seeping now. Grin.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  11. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thanks. Not sure who Xioc is. That picture is not current. Many waters have gone under the bridge since then.

12. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Aw man, I can't get away with NOTHIN'!!
    [​IMG]

I'm Xoic. And he's joking. I only just met @Samlet a few days ago, and you can't trust anything he says—hE's WeLsH!! (<— that's his intro thread)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Some Guy and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  13. Astrea

Astrea Member

Samlet and Xoic like this.
  14. Astrea

Astrea Member

I'll keep that in mind.:)

Xoic likes this.
  15. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums Astrea! I hope you have a great time here! :)

Steve Rivers likes this.
  16. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thanks.

Kyle Phoenix likes this.
  17. Astrea

Astrea Member

I thank everyone for making me feel so welcome. It makes me feel warm inside.

Xoic likes this.
  18. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

:superlaugh:

Anyhoo, welcome to our fistful of knuckleheads!

Xoic likes this.
  19. Astrea

Astrea Member

Thank you. I look forward to meeting the knuckleheads. I think I've finally figured out how to get the knuckles out of my head. ;) After three years of working on the book, I'm fairly satisfied. I've giving it a couple of weeks rest while I continue to paint the cover art. I will then go through it one more time before I give it to my reader. I'm still trying to sort through which self-publisher to use this time. With all that's going on in general publishing is really in the toilet, unless one is famous or has a huge story to tell.