1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Copyright update (U.S.)

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by SapereAude, Oct 15, 2021.

I have two titles that I have submitted to the U.S. Copyright Office, and which are still showing on their web site as "Incomplete." I have mailed in the required two copies of each book and I have U.S. Postal Service tracking that shows they were delivered on 29 September, so today I called the Copyright Office to ask why my books haven't been registered yet.

Surprise, surprise! "It's the pandemic." The agent told me that it currently takes two to four MONTHS for them to log in books and register the copyrights.

The agent also made multiple references to "upload." I finally stopped him and repeated that, pursuant to their instructions to submit the "best edition," I had mailed physical copies of the printed books. He then said that, due to the pandemic, they are now allowing authors to upload digital copies. He said there is a form to do that on their web site. If there is, I didn't see it -- and I spent a lot of time on their web site, trying to be certain that I did everything correctly.

Bottom line: if you are in the U.S. and you are going to register a copyright, 1) be prepared to wait a loooooong time for the registration to show up; and 2) if you want to upload a digital copy, poke around on their web site, because supposedly you can now do that even if the "best edition" is a print version.