I just did something out of character and I feel awful. :/

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferb, Aug 27, 2009.

1. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Respect-for-elders, my ass.

I do believe that with age there should come a bit more allowance to do as one pleases without being criticized. But just because a person has been on this earth longer doesn't give them an excuse to be a dick. Life experience is great and all, but it doesn't make one an authority in all matters. I don't think it says anywhere the the Golden Rule stops applying after age 50.

Anylame, as far as traffic laws go...

A good amount of this thread seems to be assuming that pedestrians play a real-life blindfolded version of Frogger. Motorists should be alert and courteous of pedestrians. But the pedestrians should be careful, too. Jaywalking is a ticket-worthy offense, but you never see it being enforced anymore (at least not where I live).

There are a lot of bad drivers out there (and everyone does some stupid stuff while driving, don't pretend like you don't), and as both a pedestrian and a driver, you should be responsible for your own safety.

I don't even know why this is argue-worthy. Even if Ferb was violating a traffic law, it's not something to dwell on. She felt bad about it, so I'm sure she'll be more careful about it next time.

1 person likes this.
  2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Just to clarify, I didn't mean people don't deserve respect until they show it to me. I meant something like age doesn't qualify you to be respected. Respect isn't just given, it's earned. One needs to demonstrate that they deserve it before they can get it.

Quoted for truth.