1. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

I just want to say that I really ....

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by trailer trash, Sep 29, 2006.

I just want to say that I really like this forum, and see the potential for it to grow and become something very special. That is why I am taking time to point out a few things. I have ignored them until now. But, for myself and for those members who want this forum to succeed I am taking this opportunity to speak out.

Many new members post stories, poems etc… without taking time to offer up a critique or comment on others work. I think someone mentioned just recently that two or three critiques would be about right before beginning to post your own work.

It looks as if many members have no real desire for anyone else to read their work. Why do I say this? Well first, and most importantly, many are guilty of not taking the time to put their work in any readable format. And those that do this just dump everything into one paragraph and then expect others to read it. I’m sure that even the least educated of members here never did this anywhere else--not even in the third grade.

I know it can be a pain-staking process sometimes to get your work up on the forum. But, no matter how hard it is that should not be used as an excuse for sloping your post and work up on the board as if they do not matter. If you are having problems, you should contact the administrator.

High jacking threads and posting in the wrong area is also starting to become a problem. It is causing the board to become unorganized and hard to find what you are looking for when you visit. Not to mention it is not very impressive to others, who might be considering joining our forum.

If you have any problems or suggestions you should contact the administrator, or post your suggestion in the area provided for in the forum.

Thanks,

Trailer Trash

2. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

If anyone has any questions about how to present your work in a forum friendly format, just let me know.

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Good stuff TT. I'll stick this.

4. Raven

Raven Banned

Just wanted to say I agree.
    I read this and thought it was a wise idea.

~Raven.

5. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

*agree*

By the way TT...I LOVE your nick!! LOL

6. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I also want to agree with this message. I know that I'm a relative newbie myself but I definitely agree that the point of this forum (at least for me) is to critique the work of others as best as I can and hope for the same in return. I know that the first thing every new member wants to do is go right to the appropriate post - paste in their most recent work and wait to be showered with praise (at least that's what I did :D) I didn't notice the "Crit before you Submit" post until afterwards and then I tried to crit as much work as possible to make up for my (then obvious to me) inexperience. I don't know if there is a better way to inform new members that they should critique 3-4 pieces before they post but it could help a lot.

As for the formatting, I ran into a problem with pasting my work into the post (I tried an attachment at first but I think that caused some problems). When you copy and paste from a word processor you lose a lot of formatting from the original work by doing so. This took a post or two to learn (but I'm not a big forum user so....) Perhaps we could have a welcome post that is a mandatory read before people can start posting??

But even with the problems I still really enjoy this forum. Thanks for setting it up and modding it!!

zb

7. A.K.Asha

A.K.Asha New Member

Hi AK here
    I'm glad I read this as I was not aware that it was perhaps polite to offer my own critique on other users work before I submitted anything of my own. Must admit though that I've never really written reviews of other peoples' work so my initial comments may not amount to much at first.

AK Asha

8. judesplace

judesplace New Member

I haven't been here long enough to have found this out, but couldn't there be different groups for different access levels? Maybe not allow anyone to post a story until they have posted at least 5 times in the review forum and then get moved to the level with access to post a new topic. I know I can do that on my forum (and do), and it helps me keep things organized, especially since I do the upgrading once the member has achieved the correct amount of posts!

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Actually, you have to post 2 reviews in the Review Room before putting up a story of your own, and while we do advance in member titles along with posts (ie "Senior Member" and whatforth) we don't actually get any special privileges unless we're mods.

10. poempedlar

poempedlar New Member

I just want to say that I agree

Of course we want exposure for our work but this is not a one way street. Read and learn from others. If we all concentrate on only our own work, nobody will read it either.

11. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I've had such nasty reply that I will only read. My blog entry's are all gone now. It was a really nice site, but it is not very welcoming. I actually found several very angry members, and of course, am very sad that I can't actually say anything. What is the point.

12. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Unfortunatly, there are a few out there that are nasty and don't give any constructive advice on whatever you happen to post.

But it sucks that it happened to you Funny Bunny. I think I saw a novel or short story? That you had posted and someone hadn't been very nice. And to have this happen reflects badly on the forum. I'm very sorry that this has happened and why on earth were your blogs deleted? What was in them? I mean, some material isn't allowed but...
    still, I am sorry that you have had a bad experience. Have you gone to the admin or the moderators about this?

13. MowsysWrath

MowsysWrath New Member

Agree. I still haven't givin my feedback to anyone. I'll go do that.

14. mercy

mercy New Member

Sorry

Please allow me to apologize for posting in the wrong areas.

I treated the forum as any random web site, and scanned its content instead of looking it over thoroughly. The writing issues area was minimized. So, I missed it.

After reading you post I realized my mistake, and understand now that I registered as a member in a community. Out of courtesy, I should have taken the time to review all aspects of the forum before posting.

I am sorry for my carelessness. It will not happen again.

15. Ennui

Ennui New Member

Your laudatory is the thing which makes people gleeful.
    Your absolution can be forgiven.Let this forum spirit bless all brethren.
    Blessings.

16. wt6869

wt6869 New Member

I'm not sure if I agree with the original post.
    I'm not very good at writing. Everything I write is very personal and I don't wish for others to see it. Besides, I am an extreme critic, and I can see all the weaknesses of my writing.
    I would probably make a better editor than a writer.
    My point is this.
    I do post critiques on others' work without having posted my own work. Every time I do, I wonder if the author will even listen to what I have to say because I haven't really showed any of my work. Why should he, if I have nothing of my own to show?
    The truth of it is that I really enjoy reading the work of other people, and I like to encourage the author. If I see something that can be improved upon, I mention it. And
    if I don't like a piece, for whatever reason, I keep the opinion to myself.
    Everyone on this forum is here for their own reasons. If a person posts without critiquing, then maybe this person does not feel confident enough to critique someone else's work and should not be forced to do so.
    I think the biggest point to make is that all who post should be encouraged to continue writing. If you can't give words of encouragement or advice, then keep your trap shut.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, the Review Room workshop is a critiquing workshop, so anyone who wants to post there has to commit to participating by posting constructive critiques first.

No one will think less of you for offering writing suggestions without showing your writing style first. They don't to become your writing clone. What they are looking for is possible ways to improve their own writing. So you suggestions need to stand on their own - you learn to be specific in your recommendations, and explain WHY you recommend them.

When you examine your suggestions to that detail, you learn to also apply the same thought process to your own writing, and you become a better writer.

The other place on the site you can post your own writing is your member blog. There are no restrictions there except the general content restrictions of the site. But don't count on the depth of critique you would get in the workshop.

18. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I agree with your post. I apologize to Cog, there have been a few times already where he had to move one of my threads or even delete them because I put things in the wrong place.

As for reviewing, I'm not one of the more prominent reviewers and I feel bad about it because I do have the time. I'm not really sure what's holding me back. But for anyone else, if you don't have the time/interest/some other reason to critique others, there are other ways you can benefit this forum as well. You could just breeze through pieces and give an overall impression which can help the author a lot. You can also just spend time greeting new members and making them feel welcome. Put in your signature that you'll answer questions if people need help. Be active in the writing issues section. All of these are other ways to help without reviewing.

Nate

19. tbeverley

tbeverley New Member

I just get excited by the fact that there are all these writers out there to read. They may be good, bad, average; but maybe they'll all be good someday. I just hope they don't quit, because writers tend to quit before they've got far, disappearing into some other life pursuit. I tend to think that if the worst writer in the universe kept writing, eventually the writing would be good.

I don't review for others, really; I review because I'm interested in seeing other writers write. I like communities because, quite frankly, I'm lonely. I don't have anyone to talk to about writing; thus, I look around online for other writers - a rare specimen these days.

If it were Paris in 1925 and Henry Miller walked up to me and said, "Could you read this, I'm not sure if it's any good," well, that's like being here. All these writers, like a little garden of blooming flowers.

Anyway, nobody critiqued the one story I posted. 40 people read it.

I can't complain, however, because I'm more interested in socializing if possible than having someone read my writing. It's likely the same for everyone: Who really is going to care what someone else says about their writing? I think we're all here just for the company, and if we're posting stories or critiquing, it's likely just for the sake of having someone to talk to.

Writers are lonely.

If you post, send me a PM and I'll critique it.

20. cinnim0ngirl

cinnim0ngirl New Member

I agree with the original post. I think if you are going to ask something of someone, you should be willing to do the same in return. I also agree with something else that was mentioned, this forum can come across as unwelcoming. As a 'newbie' myself I did all the wrong things right off. Posted in the wrong place and it was moved, asked the same thing many others had and as a result my thread was closed. I accept that I should have read more or looked harder for the answers. I was just excited to find a place where people were willing to give advice and maybe save me from countless oops moments with my writing. And possibly give what little advice I have learned through my own oops moments. I wasn't expecting the harshness of some of the postings I have read. To someone like myself who honestly didn't know and asked, to have it answered rudely was a blow. I already feel over my head with attempting to write a novel when everyone I know said don't waste your time. I don't have anyone to ask things or show me how to do something. So I asked here, as many others have. I didn't know the rules of the forum or what was PC. I didn't know about the read others first before you post thing and sadly would have probably added to that irritation. There are right and wrong ways to answer every question. You might have answered the same question hundreds of times and sworn the next idiot who asks will be blasted...well when you are the unknowing idiot unlucky enough to utter “Hey, what does this mean?” and get “AAAAAHHHH!!! back,well pardon me but it sucks. No one should be made to feel inadequate, stupid or ashamed for asking any question. I am not directing this to anyone specific, almost everyone has been helpful. Sorry if this came across as rude itself but I felt it was a good point to make for the ones who don't know, I include myself in that category.

21. Joel King

Joel King New Member

I'm very happy to hear someone vocalize this and retain such a streak of posts in agreeance with this issue. This issue is the reason why I am a new member here.

22. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Trailer Trash: I realize that your post dates back to 2006, but in seeing it IS a "sticky" thread on top, I figured it would not be seen as a bump of a dead conversation.

I just wanted to point out an analogy we had on the previous music site I used to be on (for about 7 years). That site had a forum for the musical artists to post their original (often solo) songs in MP3 format, and it seems that site had the same issue you speak about in your post. Most of those members loved to make MP3s of their playing and post it for a pat on the back, yet very very few of those posting their musical art would bother to listen and say much about others posted songs. The end result was some awesome artistic value being buried to the back forum pages often with 0 replies. It was so obvious that we had a problem on the other site, and it reminds me all too well of the issues you speak of here.

At first I was surprised that this site had any problems with anyone joining up and quickly posting their work without reading others work, because that is not why I am here. But, once I drew a parallel between what happen on the music site I used to post on I suddenly realized exactly what you were getting at.

I came here to read, not just post. I came here to learn, I am one member that is not ready yet to share my writings, yet I have no issue sharing my music. All in all you sparked some thinking and I now understand the rules of this site better.

Great post. That is all. :cool:

Terry

23. Meliha

Meliha New Member

I think I have read a lot the stuff that's posted in the review part of the forum, at least in the 'children's and general short story; and novel' parts but sometimes I don't want to leave a comment because I didn't like what I read and I just don't want to hurt anyone; so unless the poster clearly stated that even negative comments are welcome, I just leave. I think anyone who doesn't want to read what others wrote should really think about whether writing is the best way for them.

I don't know enough about poetry to give any insight into that. English is not my first language so I really don't think I should advise anyone about grammar and spelling; but I will help out with ideas, or at least I will try whether the author will think they are usable or not is really up to them. I can give my opinion as an 'average reader' - what I felt, what I think is missing; that kind of stuff. Is that enough? If i ever spot a place where something can be said better and I have some idea on how to do that, I will do that too.

For me, writing is a hobby; and reading (IMO) goes hand in hand with writing, so I like to read the stuff that's been posed.

Should I leave bad comments as well as good ones? Because I have read some stuff that's left me completely confused and unsure what on earth I read - and this could be just me, so I don't know if this kind of remark would put someone off writing... Or am I just being dramatic now? A little too empathetic and in a wrong way?

24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Meliha, you're looking at it the wrong way. You dig out the weaknesses in a piece of writing, not to attack the writer, rather to help him or her improve it. More to the point, you are training yourself to find and fix problems in your own writing.

The Review Room is a critiquing workshop. Anyone who posts there expects (or should expect!) that their writing will be dismanteled for any weaknesses.

25. Meliha

Meliha New Member

Hmm... OK, thanks. I will still try to make my posts soft, or at least as soft as I can (I have never been good at 'diplomatic' replies)... I will try and stay clear of: 'I have no idea what this text is about' or 'I think you got that all wrong, I don't think it works as you've presented it' :redface: