Tags:
  1. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

Novel I keep bailing out of a novel after a few thousand words

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Rohan89, Jul 24, 2018.

I'm the type of writer who doesn't like to plan. I like to just write and see where it takes me.

I want to write literary/crime fiction.

In recent times, I'll start writing what ends up being the opening chapter/scene of what could be a novel. Usually it is fine, sets a good pace.

But after working on it for a few days, my passion fizzles out.

I lose commitment to it, and just end up writing randomly every day again, like a scene from a different story, or a poem.

I don't think it is the case that the idea itself is not good, I just think I lack the mental discipline to stick with the story, like when I start again the next day, I dont want to be limited by the story I already started. I think that's a flawed mindset.

I just wrote an interesting opening chapter tonight, and I'd like to be able to continue on from it tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice on having the mental discipline to stick with the novel you're already writing?

flawed personality and jannert like this.
  2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Since you're a discovery writer not constrained by a plan, why not just try taking what you've written the previous day in whatever interesting new way strikes your fancy?

Linz and Iain Aschendale like this.
  3. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

I think that's a great idea and what I need to do.
    Thanks

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

"Serious writers write, inspired or not. Over time they discover that routine is a better friend than inspiration." -- Ralph Keyes

This is so true. Inspiration is great, but it's not something we can always count on. I found this quote pretty interesting. It's changing the way I work and view my work. Anyone who wants to finish a novel can do it. But writing a novel is a choice and continuing a story is a choice. It really is that simple. If you want this, you have to do the work. Ask yourself how bad you want this? That's really all you have to do.

Andrew Wade and John Calligan like this.
  5. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I agree with Deadrats, though I will say I’ve had false starts. Before the last novel I wrote, I did maybe three outlines and three first chapters over a couple weeks before I found something with heart that would stick.

deadrats likes this.
  6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't call it mental discipline, I'd call it emotional discipline. Or maybe reward management. Continuing on the same story is not experienced as rewarding.

So I suggest finding a way for it to be experienced as rewarding, or, maybe, find way to associate it with reward. (Eating chocolate ice cream as you write would be one, unhealthy, way to associate it with reward.)

For me, that's achieved by dancing all over the novel's timeline, writing the scene that I find most satisfying emotionally in the moment, and polishing each scene until I find it pleasing to read. (And, no, I didn't plan the novel. I just write stuff that could maybe possibly happen.) I've been whining that that's getting harder as I get closer to the end, but I can now see the end, so if I have to break out into disciplined drudgery without immediate reward, I should still get there, because the overall reward of finishing the first draft is likely enough to drag me along. It wouldn't have been if that had been the only reward when I started--it was just too far away.

Your reward is probably something else, but that's what I'd focus on--reward. Maybe look up all the things that cause people's dopamine to increase.

jannert likes this.
  7. Andrew Wade

Andrew Wade Member

Oddly enough I didn't have this problem when I wrote my first novel, but I've had a hell of a time with my second novel.
    I think everything that's been said so far are good ideas.

I think it does come down to discipline, if anyone had the end all be all answer to discipline, they could write a New York times bestseller.
    At the end of the day, your only choice is to just do the work.
    It's not sexy advice, but it's about as solid as it comes.

I will say that... in regards to you being a writer that "doesn't like to plan", I say with great respect that it's probably not true.
    Not everyone needs a plan, but I feel that subconsciously you mentioned it because you might feel that it's what's holding you back.
    I also feel that you wouldn't be here asking for advice if you knew yourself well enough to say with certainty what your style as a writer is.

Do yourself a favor, try developing a story outline and then follow it.
    That doesn't mean follow it to a tee, but having an outline will help you focus your talents.

Try watching this:

^ Part 1

^ Part 2

In fact you should watch all his videos because they're great, and have helped me immensely in crafting my own stories.
    Happy writing.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think if something isn't working for you, and you do want it to work, you should change your approach.

In this case, maybe spend a little less time writing and more time planning. Take your first chapter that you like, and start to think about it. Away from the computer. In your spare time, or in your time when you can do some thinking. Ascertain what you've got and start thinking about what might happen next. Or what it might lead to. Or even what the end might be. Start letting the rest of the story take shape in your head.

Do discipline yourself. If you find yourself wanting to write another story, force your attention back to the one you've already started. You can do it, and if you really want to accomplish something as a writer, you must do it. Don't start writing on the story again until you're ready with something to write about. But don't start writing other things in the meantime.

If you need some ideas, push what you've already got a bit. If it's a crime story, start reading (online or otherwise) about crimes. Get interested in the crimes themselves, and interested in the people who commit them, the reasons for committing them. The settings where they are committed. Read about police and detective work. The more you do this, the more you'll give yourself ideas about your own story. Try to avoid reading other people's fiction in this instance. Instead, read about the real world and what crimes are like and how they are solved. This should put you back in the mood, and give you ideas you haven't had yet.

Stick to the task. Don't wander off to the next shiny idea about something else entirely. Or, if you do get another shiny idea, see if you can merge it with the story you started writing. Sometimes these synergies can be the push you need to create something unique.

Having umpteen pieces on the go at once might work for some writers, but it's obviously not working for you. Nobody can give you discipline to stick to the job till it's done. It's something you have to do for yourself. But the results are well worth it! Any satisfaction you got from completing one chapter will be increased by huge multiples, if you actually get a first draft done.

Lew likes this.
  9. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

While I'm not much of a planner in regards to making elaborate outlines or character studies, when I start a story there's always a few scenes I've visualized happening at one point or another. These are usually the scenes I'm most excited about, so I use getting to those scenes as the incentive to slog through some of the other parts that aren't necessarily as fun to write.

10. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

So, I have written 1000 words for the second day in a row!

All your advice helped me greatly.
    I said to myself, 'no matter how you feel, just continue with the story', and it worked.

I ended up bringing a character back (the bad guy) that I was working on last year in a different idea, and I think I even have a good idea for a twist, in terms of who the bad guy ends up being.

Fascinating how the unconscious mind works with writing.

Thanks

Siberian, xanadu and izzybot like this.
  11. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

This will be different for every writer, both in terms of what specifically to do and also how to actually do it. For me, the only way I could ever start making forward progress was to write every day, give myself a word count target, and do minimal editing as I go. Keeping forward momentum going was (and still is) absolutely critical.

Writing something long is a LOT of work. You’re not always going to feel inspired or want to do that work. That’s where the discipline comes in. How much discipline you need, how much you “force yourself” to write (though I hate that way of phrasing it), how much progress is acceptable and at what pace—that’s all going to depend on you and your goals.

12. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

13. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

That's great! Congrats on the progress!

14. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Who's the guy in the videos? Is he Adam Skelter? If so... what has he actually written? Does he use pen names or something? (I can listen to him as a "here's some guy who has some ideas that might be interesting" guy or as a "this guy clearly knows what he's talking about because he's had the kind of success I want, so even if stuff sounds wrong I should keep listening" guy. I need to know which approach to take!)

15. Andrew Wade

Andrew Wade Member

I... don't know, it's just a youtube channel I came across some time ago. In his videos he mentions his screenplay which has apparently been adapted into a movie, an Indie movie I think but a movie all the same. I think his videos are more geared towards screenplays, but the fundamentals of story structure, character dynamics, and dialogue translate well to any form of writing.

16. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I have the same problem. However, I tend to rotate my WIPs. I tried the "discipline" thing where I only work on 1 WIP at a time, and I felt like that cut down my creativity. Sometimes when working on WIP "C" my mind wanders and I suddenly get a burst of inspiration for WIP "A." Or some days I am more in the mood to work on "A" over the others.
    Long story short, no matter what new thing I start writing on, my mind always wanders back to the main ones

17. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Try getting involved with your characters emotionally, let them become real for you. Then literally, they will tell you their story, and take you, the writer, to unexpected places. Sounds eerie, but it works both for me and for @K McIntyre also

18. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

Writing a crime without planning sounds incredibly difficult. To each his own though I guess.

As far as sticking to a project goes though have you maybe considered trying a smaller project style like short stories or novellas? Maybe it'd help give you a more reasonable goal starting out and you could work your way up as you develop more discipline. I know some people look at a huge goal like 75-100k words and it's just too much pressure for their first work.

deadrats likes this.
  19. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm writing a sort of crime novel without planning. I actually didn't know I was writing a crime novel at first. But I did write a lot of short stories and one failed (but complete) novel prior to starting this new one. For a few years, I kept returning to a short story that I couldn't seem to get right. I probably wrote about a half dozen different stories with the same characters trying to get it right. Then it kind of just clicked when I started writing my novel that this was the story these characters were made for. So, as @Damien Loveshaft said, it might be worth trying out some of your ideas even on a smaller scale. It could get you in the routine of seeing something through to completion, and even if none of the short stories work, you might have a better sense of who you want your characters to be and how you want the story to go. Or at least you'll learn what you don't want in your novel which can be just as useful.

Damien Loveshaft likes this.
  20. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

It's not "flawed", it's just that people are different and that's how you are and other people might do things in a different way. You can try to do things that fit your mindset. Short stories are fun. Write a scene, then write another scene. Don't let it bother you if the two aren't connected. It's all good writing exercise. Maybe in time your mindset will change. A lot of people change throughout their life, you'd be surprised! Or, maybe at some point in the future you'll decide to put those two completely un-connected scenes together and they might become connected. Some writers write like that. Do what you enjoy, write whenever the muse arrives. Unless you have a deadline :D. Doing anything as a job requires doing things you won't enjoy, but if that's not your job and you're not dependent on the paycheck, then don't worry, just write, have fun! You can also try to give yourself some reward if you "do the right thing". Go to the movies after you write a scene that wasn't just fun, or have an apple pie, play a computer game, whatever, reward yourself for being good. :cheerleader:

21. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

It's tough. I just finally finished the first draft of my novel yesterday but the odd thing is I was four chapters in on another novel before jumping ship to start this one. My hurdle point is about four chapters. I'm a pantser and I when I get stuck I tend to dream up other ideas and suddenly I'm off writing something else.
    There is no real trick to stay on one story. That I know of. I can't even think why I remained writing this story. But it helped that I wrote every day -- failing now and then due to road blocks but I didn't start anything fresh when I was having slump days. If I wasn't working on my story I was thinking about it or reading. I didn't allow myself to get lured into any new projects. Also I wanted to fulfill that goal of finally finishing a novel draft. So I pushed myself. I knew my story had four natural chunks to it and I kept writing encouraging myself to reach the next part. Kinda like a marathon race.