1. ColdReverie

ColdReverie New Member

I need a slap and a kick in the rear

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ColdReverie, Jan 23, 2019.

I need motivation. And a right telling off.

I have always loved writing. No matter how self-critical I can get, it is something I take enormous pleasure in, and I someday hope to write a novel. After recently finishing a 10-stage chronicle which I posted daily on Facebook, I was astounded by the response of friends who asked me why I wasn't working on a novel already. I thought this was finally it - the push I needed to get down to it and start developing a writing habit.

This was all during the holidays, however. As before, work gets in my way (I am a teacher, which means working late in the evening), and I find it difficult to establish a routine. Most of my free time is spent reading or away from the computer, which I have started associating too much with lesson preps and corrections, and when I write something (on average once a week), I feel as if it's a mere pebble in an ocean.

How did you go about developing your writing routine? What do you typically write about every day? How much did you feel you had to write to begin working on your novel? Please send your advice (and abuse) so I can finally give myself the slap I deserve for letting this drag on for so long.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I haven't watched TV in about ten years. I've cut back on watching movies though I love them. And while writing the first draft of my WIP I only went on the internet a couple of days a week. Then I set aside specific times - usually after dinner and wrote. I focused on always thinking about my characters and their situations so I would get excited to start writing the next day. If I hit a hitch I didn't panic but kept focused on how to work out the problem. I found that by always staying connected to the story on a daily basis made it easier to jump back in. The longer I waited the more nerve wracking it is to get back that mood.
    I've been working on my novel for about a year now. I've got the first draft done, right now I'm editing and trying to polish it.
    Not sure I get the second question - How much experience? I wrote my first novel when I was about fourteen, no real experience in writing before that. Anyone can write a novel. It might not be all that coherent or the best but that's why editing is a lifesaver.
    Or do you mean figuring out your novel - like a storyline? I like to do some set up for my novels. I write a brief storyline … that doesn't usually take long a
    couple of hours. Maybe a week of thinking things out. Sometimes longer.

3. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

1. Cut your usual reading time in half and use it for writing.
    2. Stop writing anything that isn't your novel, and write your novel instead.
    3. Put it in your calendar as an appointment for a set time.

Doing these three things will give you a good start.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. StaggeringBlow

StaggeringBlow Member

Keep going back to it when you have any time at all. I have started and stopped so many times, but, I just keep pressing on. I'm on the biggest roll of my life right now, but, the key is to not give up.
    This same tactic worked when I quit smoking. I just kept trying to quit every day.....

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Originally I did it whenever I had time, but not that life is more complicated, I have to set aside some time each day in the quiet hours of the day. Usually before everyone's woken up or after everyone's gone to bed. Family members, flat mates, friends, and just people in general are atrocious at respecting writing time and the less chances at distraction, the easier it is to actually get writing.

Most of the words I put down are poor attempts to communicate vague ideas to me in the future.

Like pre-writing, or experience? If it's pre-writing, you start delving into your manuscript whenever you feel you're ready, and you will know when you're actually ready and not just putting it off. If it's experience, then there's really no better way to get experience than by writing a novel.

Good. Computers are a huge distraction. Grab a pen and paper and leave them next to that chair you've got where the lighting is just right, next to the little spot where you like to set down you mug of tea while you're going through a book, and start taking notes from what you're reading, adding ideas, things you like, what you'd do different, and pretty soon, you'll have some story ideas that you just can't wait to turn into a full fledged novel.

6. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

It may be that you have to accept you will do your main writing in the holidays. That's not so bad.

Is the writing you do in the holidays better than the writing you do on work days?

How many weeks holiday do you get as a teacher. Maybe a note book for the writing you do during work days should be kept. When you have the energy and are engaged you could add to it ( happily, not as an additional stress but as relief)

Give yourself time to become excited. Delay gratification. Smash it out when you have headspace? It would take longer than otherwise but could leave you happier in the meantime.