1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Named houses in the U.K. and majuscules

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Wreybies, Aug 9, 2020.

It goes like this:

My story includes a named manor house. Holcomb House, to be exact. I know what to do with the name when presented as a whole, but I am left to wonder if the word house, by itself, once established as referring to Holcomb House, remains majuscule?

"I've been living and working in Holcomb House for over a year. The house needs quite a bit of work."

or...

"I've been living and working in Holcomb House for over a year. The House needs quite a bit of work."

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I would say no.

Here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-46348857

The BBC uses "cottage" in the second sentence after referencing the name of the building, Frogmore Cottage in the first sentence.

Sometimes, you'll see "the Palace" when referring to Buckingham Palace, but that is actually a reference to the monarchy rather than the building.

Wreybies likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Excellent. Thank you. :) Wasn't sure if this would be different US compared to UK since - while we certainly do have named houses and grand estates - they don't answer to any ties with nobility or peerage, so I wasn't sure if that would make a difference.

ETA: We do a similar thing with "the White House" in the way it gets used to refer to the presidency, not the actual structure.

Naomasa298 likes this.
  4. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Definitely the first version :p