1. Long Gone

Long Gone Guest

Grudge (no, not the horror film)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Long Gone, Apr 20, 2008.

Grudge is the title of my latest project. It centres on the abuse of women from the mid 1900s right up into the present day. In fact, if you hold on a second, I think I have a summary/blip here somewhere...

Mark Sheridan is used to seeing the women in his life become defeated through abuse and neglect. He learnt resent and hatred as he watched his father mentally and physically torture his mother and sister for years.

A brutal incident eventually leaves him incapable of connecting emotionally with any woman. Only when a face from his past turns to him for help does he inadvertently discover love.

But it comes at a heavy price and there are those close to him who expect nothing besides loyalty from their women, mistreated or not. As the heat rises against Mark, he must decide who and what he cares about most - and what he is willing to lose.

Basically, its follows Mark over a period of fifty odd years, spanning from a childhood witnessing his mother and sister be beaten and mistreated by his father. He believes he has escaped when he moves away from home, but actually ends up moving in with a friend who is abusive toward his girlfriend.

Years skip ahead to Mark as an adult, struggling to support a mother who is, for some reason, under the impression that her deceased husband was a saint. At this point, the abused girlfriend comes back into his life and they fall in love. The problem is that she's still with the same man, Mark's best friend of years before, who is now a prominent and feared face in the London underworld.

Mark then faces a battle of whether to stand up to the issue of abuse against women, which has affected him all his life, but this means standing up to a dangerous and sociopathic gangster.

It won't just be full of senselss violence, although this will feature in the story, because I want to focus as much on the issue of gender abuse, the pain of the Sheridan family induced because of it and the whole girlfriend-best friend situation. But is it packed with too many themes?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'too many' is only what doesn't work... an exceptional writer can make virtually anything work... a good writer can make most things work... so, what it comes down to is how well you will write it, not how many subplots you have going in it...

bottom line?... that's a question only you can answer... or your critics, after you finish writing the book...

love and hugs, maia

3. Long Gone

Long Gone Guest

Hm... never thought of it like that before.

Thanks Maia.

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

You'll be fine, man. Just crank that bad boy out. It might seem like there's a lot you want to put inside of it at this point, but if you're writing a novel, the length lets you do things like that. Don't go pulling an Ayn Rand or Victor Hugo and describing every little thing for thirty or forty pages.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This isn't a reviewable piece, as it stands. It's a bare plot outline, but there's nothing I can really say about your writing style from what is here.

Normally, I would comment on sentence structure, spelling, usage, and grammar, exposition, character development, dialogue (if any), and pace, and how you put the plot in motion. All of these things require an extract of the actual writing, however.

This is more a question about plot creation than a review request.

6. Phaiyle

Phaiyle New Member

Honesty I think it should Be WAY more focused on the abuse against woman. I feel like the friend being a gangster will take the view off of the main subject. It should be much more of an internal thing. If he were just a regular guy it would have the focus SOLELY on weather or not mark is willing to confront the issue.

Also depending where in his life the book actually starts. If it starts say when he is an adult then that doesnt really matter as much. But if your going to go all the way back to his child hood and write from there. It really needs to be much more about his struggle with the females around him being abused.

Like I said. I think that a gangster would add in fear more than anything else. And that would just take away from this life struggle of his.

7. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

My Signature is an awnser.

What it means, that you can do anything, and that they are rules, but some are misguiding and untrue.

So, Nothing is true, and everything is permitted