1. R M

R M Member

I need help deciding if editors fee offer is correct

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by R M, Sep 8, 2020.

Hey guys. to make a long story short, I found a guy to edit my novella but his offer is 500$ plus 250 for the readsy fee and like an idiot i accepted without asking first. If anyone could tell me if this is a correct offer I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day!

Buy the way, my novella is about 20,000 words long

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I don't really know what the going rate is, but usually editors would offer a free sample of their editing - like the first page or something. I'd be more interested if the editor has a track record - who else has he edited for? Are there any references? Is he experienced in editing your genre? It's worth paying good money for a good editor. But a bad editor can ruin your book and even your love for your book - so, my view is: Either pay good money for a good one, because good ones don't come cheap, or don't get one at all. Better no editor than a bad one!

3. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I’d think it depends on your editor’s track record, and what you’re getting for that fee. Is it a line edit or a developmental edit (not the same thing). What are the credentials? Is your editor ACES certified, or did he just hang out a shingle and say he’d give your work a look-see?

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

For a good editor, it could be a steal. For a bad one, it's likely a waste of money. Hopefully, you checked out this guy and his work so you're going into it with the right expectations.

5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

If this is a professional editor with a proven track record, and their fees include both line and developmental editing, that price sounds very reasonable - on the cheaper side, even.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

that sounds high for a 20k word novella... but its hard to say without knowing how much work your piece needs and what sort of service is being provided

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Depends on the level of editing, but $500 seems a bit pricey for 20k words.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. More

More Active Member

It is almost impossible to give good answer . There are so many variables . How much work your writing needs and how good the thorougher editor is
    But if you say your work is not that good and the editor is not very experienced. A 1000 words an hour would be reasonable . $750 divided by 20 is $37 an hour . In the UK you would be looking at a rate lower than that. A good experienced editor can edit 1500 words an hour . So my conclusion is , they are on the expensive side .