1. Holo

Holo New Member

I need help naming rebel group?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Holo, Mar 28, 2012.

So the backstory is that there is a ruling class of nobles (magic practitioners) who rule over the lesser witches and wizards, humans, and werewolves. The werewolves are treated like pariahs and forced to live in slums and have barely any rights. There is a group of werewolves in rebel organization that do stuff like attack cargo being sent into the city that is meant for the ruling class, and stealing goods and distributing them to werewolves that need them.
    Originally, I was going to name them Pandora, but that seems too cliche. Not to mention it says nothing about the group itself. I also don't want any acronyms. I was thinking of the Night Howlers (since it the werewolves are forced to go into a large, guarded warehouse on full moon nights so the humans and nobles don't hear them howling) but I don't know. Does anyone have any ideas on what to name this group?

2. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

You could use something like Google translater and translate words you want into different languages and use one or mix different words up. I remeber for an elven race of the story that I'm developing, I used Google translater to name them (I didn't want to use existing elf races) - can't fully remember, but I think I used to words, I took part of what I wanted and compined them.

Hope that's of some help to you.

3. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Google translator (translater?) is always the answer for everything, trust me. Try to pick a cheesy name in English, like, I don't know, "rebels" or "avocado" and go translating in weird languages, pick the translated word you liked the most and "adapt" to English. Works with me.

4. Tinker

Tinker New Member

I think the important thing to remember about naming a rebel group is the motivation. Most rebel groups will name themselves according to their cause or ideal. They will pick something simple that explains exactly who they are and what they hope to attain (the "Palestine Liberation Army" or PLA and the "Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia" or FARC) or they will go with a metaphor that embodies what they are and hope to attain ("The Black Eagles" who are a rightwing paramilitary group that operates in the shadows (hence the black) to protect former rebel leaders whom they see as the true rulers of their people (hence eagles). As with characters, you can't know what they will do (or call themselves) until you know what they want.

Since you want to avoid the acronyms, that leaves you with the metaphor names. Think about their true goals. Do they just want freedom; In which case they should pick a name that denotes freedom like "Night Runners" or "The Unchained", or do they want to destroy the ruling class regardless of what happens to them in which case they would pick names that denote a destruction of their enemies like "Blood Howlers" or "Mana Eaters"

5. Mordred

Mordred New Member

The Bond...

6. CrimsonReaper

CrimsonReaper Active Member

Have the nobles jokingly refer to them as Underdogs. Then the common people and the rebels adopt the name and make it their own.

7. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

"The Band of Banned."

8. xhawkeyex

xhawkeyex New Member

Well they're rebels, LONE, and they're werewolves, WOLVES.

"Lone Wolves" - There are multiple definitions such as "one that prefers to live independently from another" or "one who commits terrorism" or even "a nickname for military officers that have strayed from there squad"

9. Jonathan Pushkin

Jonathan Pushkin Member

Rebel Name suggestion: The sons of.....
    The Crazy
    Names related to their town...
    The 57 crew [the number can have significance in furthering the plot]

10. shangrila

shangrila New Member

How about "The Pack"?

Simple, easy, short

NanashiNoProfile likes this.