1. Wen Q.

Wen Q. New Member

Hi folks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wen Q., Sep 30, 2017.

Reading has been my longest hobby – I'm sure I'm in good company here. :) I've mainly enjoyed genre fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, crime, etc.) and written the odd short story here and there. My main experience of writing, however, has been non-fiction when I was at uni.

Right now my focus is more on proofreading and editing as I'm retraining in this line of work, but I'd like to improve my (fiction) writing a little as well.

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi there,

yeah, most writers are quite fond of reading :D You are in good company here! Non-fiction and fiction writing have some similarities, however they require a different skillset in terms of how words are put together. You'll see. It's sometimes a rocky path to learn if you do it self-trained :rolleyes: but I love it every step on the way. Don't tell anyone that I like editing/proofing, too.

Welcome!

Wen Q. likes this.
  3. Wen Q.

Wen Q. New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Lifeline. :)

Yeah, I'm still getting to grips with fiction on a copy-editing level as well, especially with getting a sense of what to query or suggest to the author. I find it much harder than dealing with non-fiction.

This looks a great site, though. I'm still digging around and lurking at the moment. When I get the time/energy, I may try my hand at one of the flash fiction or short story competitions. I've done the odd competition before and I always enjoy reading everybody else's entries. I was having a look last night at some of the entries on here and there are some great writers.