1. Whizdom

Whizdom New Member

Need some ideas for a classroom activity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Whizdom, May 21, 2010.

Can anybody lend me some ideas for a classroom activity? It must relate and reflect on the topic, Totalitarianism, and should engage the class as a whole. It should be a simple yet effective activity!

And of course, it must be appropriate.

I would greatly appreciate if anybody could help. Thank-you. :)

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    <Snippety snip>

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

We don't know your potential students, so how can we decide what could be appropriate?

4. Whizdom

Whizdom New Member

Anything that may be deemed inappropriate within a school classroom. I'm sure you already have an idea, no?

Sexualism, profanity, racism, discrimination, etc, if you want me to go into the specifics.

5. Rei

That much is obvious, but we don't know what grade you're planning the lesson for, what their previous knowledge is, their abilities, of there are any special academic or behavioural needs, what your supplies are, if you have access to videos, or the personalities of the students.

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Exactly what I was going to say. And, what is your lesson goal? And your long-term aim? What are their weak areas? Are you teaching history/English or is this some kind of humanities module? Are you focussing on writing/speaking or what? And how old are they (even if you say the grade level, we don't have the same system, so it doesn't inform us much).

7. System-Crashed

System-Crashed New Member

I think the teacher does in class all day (may or may not be you) would be the perfect example of totalitarianism.

8. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

You are either a very unlucky student, or somewhat behind in the latest developments in the teaching world.

Best wishes,

A. Teacher.

9. Montag

Montag New Member

Four groups: Spies, Dissidents, Loyalists and Party Members. Don't let them tell each other which group they are a part of.

Task the spies with naming at least one dissident accurately, get the dissidents to convince at least one loyalist that they are a party member, get the party members to accurately discover at least one spy, and get the loyalists to identify one true party member.

Of course, if this is a class of elementary school kids, it will probably devolve into a shouting match of "You're a spy!", "No YOU'RE a spy!"

10. Ashleigh

I'm kind of regretting the effort I put into my answer, given that nobody gave a crap about it anyway....o_O

Is this thread actually going anywhere?

11. Feign

Feign New Member

Do something akin to the Stanford Prison experiment XD >.> (results may vary).

12. Rei

It's not that we don't care, Ash, we're just hesitant to advise someone on lesson plans and activities when all we know is the overall topic.

13. Ashleigh

That's okay, I'm just not convinced this guy's even watching this thread anymore...o_O

14. Rei

True. The post from six days ago is that person's last one. Something tells me that is was someone looking to get help with their homework or something and gave up when people refused to do his homework for him.

15. Ashleigh

Methinks you're right. What a lazy teacher...this is essentially his job he's asking us to do. D:

16. Rei

No, it wouldn't be an actual teacher. They have millions of resources and are taught how to plan lessons. Curriculum guidelines usually have samples, anyway, at least in my experience. It would more likely have been a student who was given an assignment to lead a lesson.

17. Ashleigh

I guess so. Even still, the learning process surely entails that he already understands how to gather resources to plan lessons...that's cheatin' dude!

Then again I have had some bad teachers in my time. A couple of them told my class two years in a row that their coursework was at the very least B+ standard, just to avoid having to go over their work again. We all failed the coursework both times because it wasn't up to scratch, and they got away with it.

Another time a science teacher gave us a cookery crossword to do for half of the lesson, and then a video on polar bears for the rest. We were supposed to be revising for our GCSE's....

Thankfully the excellent teachers make up for it, and they got us all fantastic grades in the end. I don't think I'd be cut out for their job, lol.

18. Rei

I would never want to be an actual teacher. At least our schools have very strict standards to define the quality of work that fits into each grade level, and even has examples for the teachers to look at if they aren't sure.

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Folks, this is off-topic