1. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

College/web design? HELP ME?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eurlo, May 2, 2011.

So college comes soon, and I'm interested in web develoment....

Who has taken this and what is involved? do I have to know web graphic stuff? Let me know what you took!

Is it different from web design?

2. Charmichan

Charmichan New Member

Erm... I'm not much a computer buff, the only program I could say I'm very well versed at is Vista's Word... that's it. But wiki is my friend, so here's what he says
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_development

3. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

done read that :D :p

I want to learn an do a career possibly...

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you're doing web application development, you don't have to be able to produce the graphics. There are people with artistic talent who do that. For the actual web development, you could start by downloading Microsoft Visual Studio Express and doing some ASP.NET tutorials that are free online. Might give you a feel for whether it is something you will be interested in.

5. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

what my college has....

Computer Science 1205: Introduction to Programming
    Using Visual Basic CSCI 1205
    4-0-4. Prerequisite or corequisite: ITFN-1101, MATH-1111
    The emphasis of this course is on practical applications of visual basic programming.
    Topics include an introduction to Windows, data structures and algorithms.
    Computer Science 1206: Intermediate Programming
    Using Visual Basic CSCI 1206
    Prerequisite: CSCI-1205
    This course is a continuation of Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic emphasizing
    problem solving, data types and file processing with emphasis on the human
    factors of software design. Provides advanced skills needed in the Windows programming
    environment.
    Computer Science 1301: Principles of Computer Science I CSCI 1301
    4-0-4. Prerequisite: MATH 1111
    This course includes an overview of computers and programming; problem solving and
    algorithm development; simple data types; arithmetic and logic operators; selection
    structures; repetition structures; text files; arrays (one and two dimensional); procedural
    abstraction and software design; modular programming (including subprograms or the
    equivalent).
    Computer Science 1302: Principles of Computer
    Programming II CSCI 1302
    4-0-4. Prerequisite: CSCI 1301
    This course includes an overview of abstract data types; arrays (multi-dimensional) and
    records; sets and strings; binary files; searching and sorting; introductory algorithm
    analysis (including Big-O); recursion, pointers and linked lists; software engineering
    concepts; dynamic data structures (stacks, queues, trees).
    Computer Science 1320: Introduction to File Processing
    and File Structures CSCI 1320
    3-0-3. Prerequisite: or CSCI 1301
    This is a continuation of file management techniques. Language independent. Topics
    include sequential file processing, record and file organization, data representation, error
    detection and control, control breaks, tables, sorting, indexed and relative file organization.
    Computer Science 2300: Object-Oriented Programming CSCI 2300
    4-0-4. Prerequisite: CSCI 1302
    An introduction to C++ programming with object-oriented techniques including design
    methodologies. Topics include classes, operator and function overloading, in-line function,
    inheritance, virtual function, templates and OOP techniques.
    Computer Science 2400: Computer Graphics CSCI 2400
    3-0-3. Prerequisite: CSCI 1302
    A survey of the basic hardware components and software techniques used in the discipline
    of computer graphics. Topics include two- and three-dimensional graphs, matrix
    representation or transformations, perspective and stereoscopic views.
    Computer Science 2500: Introduction to Data Structures CSCI 2500
    3-0-3. Prerequisite: CSCI 1302
    An introduction to data structures and algorithm analysis. Topics include basic concepts
    of data, linear lists and arrays, representation of trees and graphs, storage systems and
    structures, searching and sorting techniques. This course is usually offered only once
    every two academic years. Consult the division chair for schedule plans.

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I would've thought you'd have explored things like html, php etc. coding basically already since you're interested in web development...

What exactly did you want to do?

7. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Yes I know most of HTML I used it for 4 years on a sims game..... I know some basic CSS codes and I know how most work.

I want to do web development:)

8. Writing in the Mist

Writing in the Mist New Member

Re: Dev vs Des

As a Computer Systems Management A.S. heading for a Web Design & Development B.S. this fall I have some of the answers you're looking for.

I was originally going to hash this out for you myself, but I came across this thread and decided that it has exactly what you need to know. I strongly urge you to read some of the posts.

Technically you don't have to "know web graphics," but you will study suitable graphic use for the web in either degree, and you will likely study some graphic design in a web design degree. If not, I recommend picking it up on the side, as the ability to design graphics from scratch comes in handy from time to time.

~ Mist

9. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

will go look now:)

10. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

ok that clears up most of it now to figure out how to take this in college:(