1. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

Would this story make a good movie?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by loverofcreations, Jun 14, 2016.

I love writing and plot development, and began writing when I was around a year 1/2 old. My first (and hence, oldest) character was a man named Frank who stuck out to me from my newer characters. For some reason his story often pops up in my consciousness.

When I was a child I made up his story, set in 1900’s. Frank was a young man of a nervous, nerdy, and shy demeanour - an owner and worker of a large workshop, in addition to an engineer. Something tragic had happened in the building where he had worked, and he is accused of being the culprit. The public jump on the bandwagon and fuel the fire. Frank's once good reputation is ruined, even by those he once trusted. After struggling for freedom, Frank is kidnapped from jail and hanged from a tree near a field. In the original story, his wife, Lucie, died of heartbreak, after seeking justice for her deceased husband. I'm wondering if this would make (or could make) a good movie or not, based on the premise.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Okay, that's... dark. Could be good. There's really not much detail here so, I don't know. But it has some potential based off that.
    Btw you should do a new member introduction thread. That way I can properly put on your straightjacket welcome you politely to our wonderful forum.

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  3. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

I was a dark kid...
    I was not aware of an introduction thread, my apologies. Well, here I am. :D

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Oscar Leigh

It's a section called new member introductions. You make a thread there.

5. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

Aaand...done.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

Posted.:)

7. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

I will also be accepting any suggestions or alterations. ^^

8. Oscar Leigh

Add a gay romance subplot somewhere. *Definitely has no ulterior motives whatsoever.* :whistle::whistle:

9. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Oooh its a tragedy, me like. I think its a good base for a story, following the wife's efforts to get justice for her husband. And, boy, yes that is an old story, I thought mine being seven years old was old...

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

Haha, yes. I recall my mother being disturbed by it at the time. I would sometimes experience dreams from Frank's POV, which probably helped me emphathize with him more than any other character that I've made, despite his short existence.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

This story clearly means a lot to you and has stayed with you for a long time. You seem to have a clear idea in your head about who the characters are and can no doubt hear their dialogue and see the setting in your mind. I think you should continue to nurture this idea and make notes about it as you do so. This could then form the basis of a novel which, if it's well written and invested with the passion that you seem to have for the characters and the story, could tell a very powerful story.

12. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

It does. I used to get depressed about the death of this poor character, as it it were real. I think I would benefit by bringing him to life (albeit in a metaphorical tone.)

13. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I agree. I think it could be helpful to reflect on how the character reflects your own feelings, personality and experiences - both at the time the story came to you, how those things have changed over time, and what they are like now. That could help you to identify further with the character and what he represents to you.

14. loverofcreations

loverofcreations Member

I altered the story plot a little bit;

Frank was a young man of a nervous, nerdy, and shy demeanor - an owner and worker of a large workshop, in addition to an engineer. Something tragic (an accident or a murder) had happened in the building where he had worked, and he is accused of being the culprit. The public jump on the bandwagon and fuel the fire. Frank's once good reputation is ruined, even by those he once trusted. One of his employees is paid by the court to state lies against his boss. After struggling for freedom and failing repeatedly, Frank is beaten up, kidnapped from jail and hanged from a tree near a field by a crowd. In the original story, his widowed wife, Lucie, dies of heartbreak years later, after seeking justice for her deceased husband.

Many decades later, to his surprise, Frank finds himself born again to a new family who do not believe in the occult or the paranormal. They believe 'Frank' to simply be crazy. 'Frank' then tries to fit in with modern society while being haunted by his traumatic past.

When I imagine the whole story in my head, I feel it would be portrayed best in a dark, twisted setting, such as in the Tim Burton films.