1. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Book Trailer

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Mike Kobernus, Feb 4, 2016.

Hello all.
    I see that there have been threads previously on this subject, yet here we go again!

Today I had a go at making a trailer. It is not professional, and cost about 50 bucks. Not a bad price, for what I got, I think.

If anyone is interested in seeing what that buys, comment, and I will post a link.

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  2. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Please post the link.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

4. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

post link

5. Mike Kobernus

Hi Guys. Thanks for the interest. Okay, you asked for it, and here it is!

6. GingerCoffee

OK, love the graphics. Not a fan of the camera moving in and back out and the words needed to build up to something but they didn't. Same with the music. Building to a crescendo would have worked better, in my opinion.

sprirj likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It looked good and sounded good, and it was fun to watch. However, as an advert for your book, it moves far too too slowly, and the meaning of the words gets lost in the fading/dissolving/camera shifting shenanigans. I forgot what the previous words had been, in the fascination of watching the present words dissolving. I couldn't tell you right now what the trailer actually said, or what the name of the book is. Something about sand?

sprirj and GingerCoffee like this.
  8. Mike Kobernus

lol..Jannert. Yes, something about sand!

Well, like I said, that was 50 bucks. It was a template that I simply added text to, and chose the music. There was a limited number of music tracks, and I had zero control over anything, such as frame length, or pan and zoom.

It was literally a case of you put your words in, and you get what you are given.

My partner in Nordland says he can do better, so I am waiting with bated breath to see what he comes up with.

But, for all its problems, for 50 bucks, I think it is hard to beat. Yet, I am forced to admit that the critiques are on the money. Shame that I was not able to actually make changes to the video, other than choose the words.

Anyone else got one they would be willing to share?

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. Mike Kobernus

It is probably not allowed to spam one's own book, but this is what it is supposed to be promoting:

goo.gl/w0qpf0

10. GingerCoffee

I don't think when one has been a member for a couple years like you have that one is spamming. I want all of us that are sincere forum members to be able to share our book links once we are published.

You can have that book listed in our book page. Send a PM to Wreybies to get it added to the bookstore.

As for the trailer, it's a good start. Worth $50 in my opinion. But you may want to keep going, improve on it.

11. GingerCoffee

I like your Amazon synopsis, by the way. It's a tiny bit too broad, but intriguing nonetheless.

Mike Kobernus likes this.
  12. Mike Kobernus

Thanks GingerCoffee. I will contact Wreybies as you suggest.

When I get a better version of the trailer, I will post it.

13. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Now I know nothing about filming or book trailers, but I dunno, that book trailer wasn't very good, I think.

1. It was extremely slow. I was wondering when it'd end about halfway through.

2. Book title only appeared some time in the middle of the trailer after you've already read a bunch of text. Which means the audience may have switched off by the time the title came about.

3. It's all just reading loads and loads of stuff... If I wanted to read, I'd read, I wouldn't be watching a video, you get me?

4. It looks like the person just used one particular effect from his video production software - you know, like how you use the same "transition of slides" in PowerPoint presentations - and then charged you 50 bucks for it. A bit of a rip off, in my opinion.

5. No variation of font or font size, or any kind of graphics, or really ANY variation to the entire video at all. It's the same shot, the same thing, the same effect, with very monotonous music that is without any climax for over a minute, all in the same colours. The only thing that changes is what the actual text says. That makes a boring video, and a poor video because when I'm watching a video, I don't expect to be reading loads of stuff usually.

6. And because it's really slow, it feels like I've read a lot more than I probably actually have. I kept just thinking "Hurry up and tell me what this is about." But the shame - it told me nothing. Author and book title, sure. Tale of magic and adventure, ok, and what else? I got that it's a fantasy novel and that's about it. Now I don't know what content should be included in a book trailer normally - however I'd have hoped for content that would intrigue me in the book. This did not.

Ah well. I guess book trailers are counter-intuitive anyway because you're trying to sell to readers using moving graphics, to sell a book that includes no such thing. Those who would prefer to watch a video over reading the blurb probably aren't avid readers, thus not your audience. Those who would prefer to read the blurb are your audience, but probably wouldn't appreciate any kind of trailer. I dunno.

14. Mckk

How come you're paying for a trailer if you have a publisher? Shouldn't the publisher either produce one for you or pay for it??

To only be able to select limited tracks and insert text into a template, 50 bucks sounds pretty expensive to me. But I don't know the going rate for these things. Might have been cheaper to make your own with a camera.

15. GingerCoffee

I looked at you Kindle preview. Not bad, I found the writing competent and the story interesting.

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I found the music 'flat' for the story your depicting, left me wondering if if your writing is also just as flat. I use a simple online mixer to write misc. music tracks centered around my now given up on WIP(actually I just gave up on writing the sequel, but whatever) , but at least they are 'lively' and not flat like the music you have chosen. The dissolve effect is neat, but the motion is weird, and the lack interesting background is a little 'flat' too.

I will share the diddy I cooked up for a scene in my finished novel that ties into the dark mood and oddly enough the 'alarm', as the MC descends into a base alone and pretty much in total darkness, as well as coming upon the aftermath of a battle. But it works for my novel because it fits the mood for the scene. (It's ok if you think it sucks, I am not a pro at writing music either :D)

17. Rickey D. Clay Jr.

Rickey D. Clay Jr. New Member

"It was only $50" probably is the selling point for this trailer (excuse the pun). It seems to be more cosmetic than anything else. The quality is good--very important in 2016 where even a phone can do everything in high HD quality. I won't regurgitate what others have already said.

If someone is willing to spend money on a trailer it should do justice to the book. A trailer can be vital. Letting a trailer literally give a glimpse into your book using what really is a physical tease is a chance to attract people in a different way than your standard description.

Now, as you said, it was only $50. Not bad for a quick promotional piece, especially if more is to come. The one thing it sounds like you could control though (sounding like the speed and the camera you couldn't) is the message. Your book sounds interesting; from your Amazon page's description.

With all that said, man, it's so exciting to see so many stories out there waiting for readers. I'm a very supportive person so I'll definitely pay attention to something that catches my interest. Good luck on everything!

18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Every time I stuff a book in my VCR I get a static. Hmm, perhaps this is due to the fact that it is written pages and not watchable? We demand more 'watchable' books! Seriously books need more 'raves 'n reviews' in a trailer more. Just an idea. :D

19. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I'd be keen to do a book trailer for someone. I've got the Adobe suite but not used the video editing stuff yet. So I'd been willing to do one for free to try and learn the package. I can't promise I'll succeed, as I'm very new at it. But if anyone wants to pm me a brief I'll see what I can do. I don't do timescales though :p

20. Mike Kobernus

I publish my books myself. I created my own publishing company to accomplish two things. First, to professionalize the publication of my work as much as possible, and second, to provide a publishing outlet for others.

I treat my writing as a business, even though it is still very early days, so to speak. So, I have a registered company, a stock of ISBNs and a small team to produce the books. For example, a very competent cover designer.

The development of video promos is not our thing, but we are exploring various options. But if we cannot do it well, we will simply not do it at all.

21. Mike Kobernus

Thank you, I appreciate that.

22. Mike Kobernus

I think that, generally, book trailers are always bad. I have seen some real howlers in my time. But I totally get that this one drags, is distracting etc. The point being made here, is this.

Are $50 book trailers worth it, when you have zero control over the look and feel?

23. Mckk

Of course not :D $50 is quite a bit. For something I should have no control over, I'd expect something more like $10. Ineffective advertising surely equates to money down the drain, even if it costs only $1. $50 per book could add up very quickly besides. If book trailers have been shown to be effective in promoting sales, then it might be worth investing much more than $50 and making it good. If book trailers are generally ineffective anyway, then why waste even $50?

As for not doing something unless you can do it well, I agree. By that way that's really cool you started your own publishing house! I liked your bio on Amazon :D

24. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Actually, all publicity is good publicity, just look how many people now know of and discussing OPs book. More than if no trailer. Multiply that over a few forums.. YouTube etc. It is usually the really bad stuff and the really good stuff that sticks in peoples minds. And I'm sure OP learnt from it, so it is never a waste. A book jacket at end and a web link would do wonders for this trailer. Its the bad stuff that can go viral... Just upload it as 'worst advert ever' and suddenly people are interested in it.

Mckk likes this.
  25. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I'm not going to lie, if I paid $50 for that, I'd be PISSED.
    I don't put much stock by my exciting abilities, but I think I could do something just as good (maybe not as pretty) in a couple of hours for free. It's just text and effects.

Mckk likes this.