1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I said no.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Nov 26, 2017.

My lover asked to read my novel, and I said no. I've never said no to reading my stuff before. I kind of reached a mini milestone in my progress with this story, but I don't want to celebrate this one with my lover. I worry it could be harder to continue if I get too much input before I finish. Have you ever said no? Am I just being silly?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Naw, if you think it's the right call it's probably the right call.

3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to share a project with someone until it's done. Or not wanting to share it with them at all. It's your project - you can do whatever you want with it, share it with whoever you want, change your mind whenever you want. It's yours.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

It's like Stephen King said in On Writing, "Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open. Your stuff starts out being just for you, in other words, but then it goes out. Once you know what the story is and get it right — as right as you can, anyway — it belongs to anyone who wants to read it. Or criticize it." You don't have to let anyone read anything you write until you feel comfortable with the idea of them reading it.

Shenanigator and izzybot like this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Of course I've said no. Unless my piece was written specifically for a writing course, I always say no. Nobody - nobody at all - gets to see my work until I'm good and ready to release it. I would never release my work unless I think it's finished. Complete. Revised and rewritten and edited to within a millimeter of its life. Nary a SPaG error to be found. Not one word out of place. Nothing further to add, nothing to delete. (Wait - that's not strictly true. I can always find things to add.)

Decades ago, I made the mistake of letting my mom read some of my stuff while it was in progress. She said she liked it. I found that paralyzing - I don't think I managed to write another word for about a year.

NOBODY SEES MY WORK UNTIL IT'S DONE!

Shenanigator and izzybot like this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

What if I gave you some extra special NH mountain nuts and let you ride out the winter in my attic? Deez nuts are super exclusive and can't be found anywhere except at the alpine tree line.... squirrels have been known to migrate down from Canada to get their paws (claws?) on these.

(these being deez)

(deez nuts)

Shenanigator likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Nope. Nope-itty-nope nope. Nope.

Shenanigator and Homer Potvin like this.
  8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I caved, and I'm not sure it was the best idea.

9. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

I wrote in the happiness thread 10 days ago.

We have been married for almost 39 years, but this writing is mine, mine alone.

Of course if she insisted I would give in, (I mean, we have been married for almost 39 years) but my feeling is still, mine, mine only.

izzybot likes this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

unless your lover is also a writer (in which case its no different to any other alpha reader) this is a bad idea

Shenanigator likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You are my new hero. There was a recent discussion about when to release to betas, and I felt exactly the same way. It does make it harder to accept critique, but...

a beta found a spelling error in my work once. I think Shakespeare summed up my feelings then:

“Oh, that this too, too sullied flesh would melt, Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew, Or that the Everlasting had not fixed His canon 'gainst self-slaughter!”

izzybot and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  12. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Actually, I think I've said "Hell, no." Or "Not on your life." Something to that effect.