1. R M

R M Member

I think i'm falling short of material for novella

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by R M, Jul 14, 2020.

Hey guys. This is the first time that I'm writing a novella that's a psychological thriller I ended up making the climax a little too early and I didn't mean for that to happen. Has any of this happened to you guys and if it did what did you do about it. I thinking I need to add another subplot but I'm not sure. Forgive me as this is my first time doing this. If anybody could help me on this Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a good day!

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

i tend to the view that stories are as long as they are... its a bad idea to pad them out

deadrats likes this.
  3. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

Meeting a word-count target is a common problem. Rather than add filler, I'd look for additional facets in the setting, characters and plot you can expand on.

Every character has a backstory you could work some details of these into your text. The minor characters will have their own stories which we catch occasional glimpses of. You could develop these.

Give more detailed descriptions of settings. Imagine being there and looking around. What catches your eye? Those are the details you need to include. If details aren't noteworthy, don't make a note of them.

Think about what the whole story is really about. Superficially, the story may be about solving a particular problem but more deeply be about the main character gaining maturity or resolving a longstanding conflict. The conclusion of the story may not be the most exciting event. The story may conclude later when the effect of that event plays out.

deadrats likes this.
  4. R M

R M Member

Thank you so much!

Aled James Taylor likes this.