Tags:
  1. Pauli

Pauli New Member

What to do now?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Pauli, May 12, 2009.

Hi,

I've been MIA for the last few months but now I'm baa-aack.

When last I was here I think my play was about to go into production.

It went on and by all accounts it was well received.

We got great reviews and by the end of the season were were getting sell out crowds.

I did a post production version of the script which I am now marketing to other theatre companies - no luck yet but I have several reading it and one keen to open with it next year.

My script was assessed as part of the recent National Playwright Festival and got the thumbs up - as did other ideas I have for future work.

My best mate and I are working on a TV episodic script of the play which, thus far, I'm really happy with. We're doing this together.

For various reasons I would love nothing more than be able to write for a living.

I can't do that writing plays - which is my passion.

If I can get another theatre company to do a production of my script - that would really help establish me as a writer - but that is easier said than done. Most of the companies you approach don't even bother to reply so staying hopeful and positive is a real issue.

So - I'm thinking that my next project (along with the TV pilot) should be a book or something with the possibility of more 'life'.

The thing is I have heaps of ideas - ideas aren't the problem - it's deciding on one particular idea and making a start.

My natural inclination is to write another play but I just don't feel there is a real future in it in terms of where I want to position myself - which is writing for a living.

It's ambitious, sure - but I like to think big.

My efforts over the last few months has been promoting the script - although I intend to continue with this I do feel I need to move on to a new solo project.

Any advice on how to embrace this would be greatly received.

2. Emmy

Emmy New Member

I have no advice (sorry,) but congrats on your play doing so well!

3. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Hmm, I can't offer much either, I'm afraid.

If you're full of ideas, why don't you start brainstorming and researching a few and see if any jump out at you. Surely you would be more passionate about some more than others?

Sorry, I'm not much help, but I just wanted to say, congratulations on the success of your play!

4. starseed

starseed New Member

I know what it's like to have tons of ideas. You just have to basically pick out a concept for your book and then commit to it. You will be able to keep all your other ideas for later. So just pick something you want to write a book about, and then get started! :)

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

congrats on the play... have you queried samuel french for publishing it?... that could get you some income, at least...

6. Londoner

Londoner New Member

Congratulations also on your play doing so well. If books can cross over to the theatre, is there any possibility that your play could become a book? Just a random thought, from someone who knows nothing about the mechanics of stage writing.

7. JGraham

JGraham New Member

Congrats on the play.

Okay, when i have many ideas and no where to start i just brainstorm. Write everything down on paper rather than on a computer, it is quicker to access and you can take it with you wherever you go. Usually i will compile all of my ideas and look for similarities. I mean most of my stuff falls into the Science Fiction/Thriller genre so alot of the times it can be linked. I link what i can and develop it. Then comes a difficult task, the characters, get good characters and develop their personalities. Pick a setting and you have a beginning, you will still need a tremendous amount of discipline and will to finish which i am sure you are accustomed to since you write plays and all. Good Luck