1. uncle poop

uncle poop New Member

The noobiest of the noobs....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by uncle poop, Jul 30, 2016.

Hello all. I stumbled onto this forum during a search about learning how to write. I am not looking to become a famous writer or anything crazy like that. I would though, as a hobby like to learn how to write. I love how when I read or watch interviews of the authors I have come to like over the years, talk about their characters. Like these characters are alive and create their own life histories. It makes me want to create characters myself and see how they grow over time. Some of these characters have brought out emotions in me. Like when a beloved character from a series I like was killed and how upset and angry I was at the character that killed him. I like laughing the funnier moments in books, literal out loud laughing. Or the sentimentality I get when re-reading a book I have read a half a dozen times.

So I came into these forums to read up on how different people create their characters and stories. I came on to learn what I can and eventually use what I learn to create a short story or two.

I am not a learned person, I barely graduated high school. I have yet to read from any of the classic writers. I am not really into real life stories. I like sci-fi and fantasy mostly, I read to get away from reality. Eventually though I will read from the classics.

So for now I will lurk in the depths of the forum.

VynniL likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @uncle poop, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here. It's better to participate than to lurk, though - much more fun!

3. Sal Boxford

Sal Boxford Senior Member

Hi! Have fun lurking but, like @minstrel says, you'll probably get more out of it if you join in. Don't worry if you think you "don't know enough to contribute." You read - you know plenty.

Also, I think the reason you give for writing is a great one. Can't speak for anyone else but what I like best about writing is spending time with the people I've invented... if that isn't a little tragic.

4. uncle poop

uncle poop New Member

Thanks for the welcome.