1. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

I Told Myself I Wouldn't Join...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dr. Mambo, Jul 23, 2016.

Yet here I am.

I've been watching the forum for a couple of months, usually checking in once or twice a week to see what's happening. Mostly, I used the forum to research self-publishing. I guess I finally decided there are enough interesting/worthwhile threads to stop lurking in the shadows and start contributing! :cool:

I'm a pretty simple guy. I like bourbon, metal music, and pizza. I was a social studies teacher for a brief time, and now I run a summer camp. It's a pretty sweet gig.

Writing has always been a hobby of mine, but it was only within the past 18 months or so that I really began to work at it and write down some of the stories floating around in my head. I look forward to sharing some of my demented musings in this forum and helping other members grow as writers in any way I can.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Is the summer camp job mostly seasonal? That could be a pretty sweet combination for the writing life - write in the winter, work your tail off with the camp in the summer.

3. Dr. Mambo

Dr. Mambo Contributor Contributor

Summer is definitely the busier season. I get Saturdays off and work 14-16 hours every other day of the week except Fridays when the kids go home at noon. Summer camp ends in two weeks, but then we have events every weekend until Halloween plus some other stuff here and there during the week, so it won't slow down that much for me until November. That said, I definitely find my time for writing in the winter months when things get quiet at work. I've certainly got more time for writing now than I did as a teacher!

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @Dr. Mambo, and welcome to the forum! Please take a look at our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here.

I bet the kids at your camp give you tons of ideas for stories. Must be fun!

Participate, and enjoy! :)