Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haribol Acharya

Haribol Acharya New Member

Do animals relish the power of imagination?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Haribol Acharya, Jul 31, 2008.

That man has progressed to this extent now in the world has to do with his capacity for imagination and indeed it is the given that man evolved through time on the strength of its imagination to the limit of treading on the moon. Now man has harnessed limitless powers, natural resources and has done something by and large unthinkable given the physiological stature if we make a fair comparison with his fellow animal beings in substance. Man is a frail and fragile animal; physically he is too weak, and in some cases some other animal species are shrewder than men, for instance dogs have the capacity for smelling and getting across the thing he is commanded to find.

Yet today man has scaled such a height and gone thus far that his fellow animal beings are still dragging on evolutionally. But I wonder whether animals are also bestowed with the power of imagination the way their fellow human beings are. Man is creative by virtue of their imaginative powers or faculties and animals.

Men have everything, live in skyscrapers, fly in the sky swifter than winged beings, take a sink in the deepest seabed, and scaled the greatest mountain ranges, tamed the wildest and fiercest brutes, harnessed natural forces. Today nature is at its commands save for some intermittent rowdies at times. Is it on the strength of its capacities for imaginations that man has gone thus far in imagination and animals are glued to their age-old positions?

Is it a matter of degree that man is ahead of his fellow beings or they totally lack this potential? Has there been research? Are any monkeys or felines today are evolutionally better off or advanced than their ancestors millenniums ago?

Is man the only creature in the history of the earth evolving and could harness natural forces and the rest were his slaves? I want all to share their views on this issue.

2. gigantes

gigantes Banned

good topic. re: animals, i've been mindful of this general issue for a long time and have some observations and links to post when i can scrape everything together.

abstract: the general populace has no real idea how evolution works, nor how closely related to animals we are, nor a good understanding of what animals are capable of, such as thought, self-awareness, emotion, ability to construct tools, pliable intelligence, sense of humor, funeral rituals, social consciousness and so forth.

studies and evidence support all of these assertions but collecting together a lot of links and papers to support each point is daunting at the moment.

3. Ungood

Ungood New Member

my dogs dream - so they must have imagination.

Not sure what that contributes.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is not a writing issue, so does not belong in this part of the site.

You could raise it in the lounge for discussion of the content, or you could post it in the Review Room -> Nonfiction forum (after meeting the reviewing requirement) if you wish comments on the writing.

Closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.