1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Unworthy in the eyes of the LORD Contributor

Iain's Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Iain Aschendale, Dec 6, 2017.

Back about a year ago or something, I started one of these and the pressure of it immediately killed my desire to write.

Let's hope I do better this time. I've got three alleged works in progress:

1) Working title: Extinction. An homage to the classic Arthur Clarke short story Exile of Eons (later retitled Nemesis). I have the whole damn story planned out, but every single word and punctuation mark of the actual writing is fighting me. Plus the science. We'll see.

2) Working title: Paranormal. A story about a guy who gets in over his head when he's mistakenly summoned by a teenage witch. I want this to be a novel, but in addition to actually writing, I need to do some larnin' on how to plot a novel. ~6000 words of rough first draft are in the bag already.

3) Working title: Occupancy. An SF story about a slow-moving alien invasion or two, and the traumatized and physically disabled vet who can maybe stop it. Hoping for novel-length.

I know I should focus on one of these and just get it done, but I'm not sure if my mind works that way, so I'm going to try and put in time, every day, on whichever one the muse has touched at the moment.

Laurus, zoupskim, PixelOwl and 2 others like this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Progress: Day Zero (Sunday, I think), 375 words on Extinction

Day One: (today) 373 words on Extinction. First three sentences posted, good crit received.

zoupskim likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Also, saving all of the above to Dropbox in a format that both my PC and my tablet can read. Tablet keyboard sucks, but having the up-to-date text with me will cut back on the excuses not to write in my breaks at work.

zoupskim likes this.
  4. Trish

Trish Lost.. got any breadcrumbs I can follow? Supporter Contributor

They all sound really interesting, especially the last one (to me). I hope this one doesn't stall you like the other one, because I know how that feels. Great idea for saving them into Dropbox :) I'd say good luck, but you don't need it :D

zoupskim and Iain Aschendale like this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

707 words on "Paranormal". Ugly, first draft, pound the keys words which also re-cover some ground I've previously written on, but it's all character development, he's got to be just right. MC is a genuine spirit-whisperer, but there aren't many genuine spirits to whisper to, so he's got a sideline in homeopathy. I need him to be sleazy-ish but still relateable, which means he can only prey on the rich and vapid, and he needs to get a comeuppance from one of the real ghosts.

Progress!

6. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

So long as you enjoy what you're writing, you shouldn't worry about wordcounts and plotting. Just write what you want. I think that's when a writer comes up with ideas that really mean something.

7. Iain Aschendale

The word counts aren't crucial except to keep me motivated. The thing that I'm finally realizing is that, coming from Flash, I was neither a planner nor a pantser, I was a bloody watchmaker who could afford to spend an hour deciding whether a comma or a full stop would have the most impact in sentence #3 of paragraph four. I spent, IIRC, seven days editing Xzodis after I got it down from 680 words to the 490-507 range.

So I'm finally learning to first draft. Plan the overall point the day's writing needs to accomplish, tell myself I'm the man, dog, and get working without researching any more, throw in placeholders when necessary, stuff like that. I now understand Iain Banks' writing computer didn't have an internet connection.

NoGoodNobu and Laurus like this.