Tags:
  1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Iconoclast

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by adamant, Apr 13, 2007.

Basically, several members of a committee, which guards a secret to manipulate all matter in the universe, wants to destroy oblivious humans due to their perceived arrogant, egocentric view of life and destructive methods of realizing their desires and needs. The remainder of the counsel would like to preserve humans, claiming they have potential and only need guidance.

There's something omitted from that, but oh well, it won't really affect much.

Anyway, back to the story. A few people are selected to topple regimes with the aid of an abridged Theory of Correlation given by the counsel through their messengers. Though there is one problem, documents are found and the location of the secret and the means of unlocking it are disclosed (I'm thinking something like the Dead Sea scrolls). The recovery is not the main objective of the story however, as the group will later need to confront the murderous sect of the counsel.

It's set in a urban environment during an "advanced modern" time - guerrilla warfare against these established empires. Though I would like to work swords for the main character into the picture - but bringing a big knife to a gunfight may be odd to inoculate. The energy mutilation is somewhat like magick, though it has more scientific properties and I really don't want it to be the one-size-fits-all, deus ex machina type of "magick". Also, I have no idea of how I should get these people to create a faction.

I copied this from my brain, so perhaps I'm missing something that wasn't intentionally absent, and maybe something doesn't make sense - but in any sense, let me know what you think of everything so far, and give suggestions on the things I'm having difficulties with if you would be so kind.

Up and At 'em. Adamant.

2. adamant

Anyone?

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Why bother destroying humans?
    So we're arrogant, and destructive, isn't wiping out an entire species just as destructive and arrogant?
    I'm assuming they don't live on Earth, so as long as we don't spread our destructiveness to other planets wheres the harm in keeping us on Earth. They simply have to ensure that no spaceship leaves Earth, and humans will be handily contained, until we kill ourselves off, stop trying to leave the planet, or learn to be less arrogant.

4. adamant

Actually, they are on Earth, just hidden - which is why they have messengers (which appear to the rest of society as angels). The Senate of the Highborn Archa'ans delivered religion to men to quell them and create a more peaceful world. However, as globalization occurred, theories began to conflict with one another and thusly religious wars broke out.

Some of them want to eradicate the majority of humans from the Earth so they can give them better guidance now that they have the experience to do so. Also, it's about protecting all things, not just humans.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Ok, now it sounds better.

The biggest problem I see is the idea of the religious wars. Religious wars have gone on for eons. Usually on the same continent, but sometimes spread out over two or three.
    Check out the spread of Buddhism. Buddhist priests fought for influence throughout much of Asia, against Hindu's, Tao, Shinto and Confucian Leaders. Often with bloody battles, and revolts.
    Islam spread over three continents, sometimes peacefully, often not so peacefully. Christianity did the same.
    Virtually every religion that doesn't declare complete pacifism, and is involved in more than one single country, has fought religious wars. Often more nasty then simple wars dealing with politics.

Maybe have it that the wars have gotten out of hand as of late. Or some new philosophy is throwing everything out of alignment.

The idea is a good start, but the reasoning behind it needs some work.

6. adamant

Yeah, I realized that religious wars have gone on forever. Oh yeah, it's not exactly on our Earth. Haha, so many things I've forgotten to say -- that's exactly why you don't give synopses from memory late at night. Actually, let's just call the planet 'Vespera', alright?

So... on this Vespera, the country of Gerani is beginning an imperial campaign, spreading bloodshed and religion on its warpath. As most countries were relatively isolated before this period, the clash of cultures brings skirmishes amongst the people as governments are forced to ally to repel invaders.

Maybe I can change the actions of the Senate to more of a mercy killing. They want to destroy everything as the humans will only enslave each other and will probably annihilate everything in existence anyway.

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Ok, now it sounds workable.
    Can't say much more than that with what I know. But as of right now, I'd at least check it out at a library.

8. adamant

Any ways you think I'd be able to work a sword into the story... even though it would be against guns? How one should have an insurgency form? Or any other tips, suggestions from you or anyone else is this forum...?

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

The sword could be worked in fairly easily. Since it's not Earth have the sword be a symbol of office, or something similar.
    If its a short sword it could be used in hand to hand fighting, and not get in the way (unless appropriate) when the character doesn't want it. So when its at any range, he keeps it sheathed. But if his enemy is only a few feet away, or he's out of ammo, trying to silently kill a person, etc, he can use the sword. Just plan carefully.

The most important thing about insurgencies and revolts is they don't stay neat and tidy. Most insurgencies have multiple leaders, and factions. Unless its planned and controlled very carefully, they have a bad tendency of breaking up. Arguments, refusals to co-operate and outright infighting can and do occur.
    Also other organizations may pop up during the chaos fighting for their own causes.
    Make sure you understand the political maneuvers that can and will occur, which factions exist and why, and who wants what.

Good luck.

10. adamant

Alright thanks for all your help (Domo arigato). Heh, sorry, it had part of your name in it so I thought it was appropriate.

I'm always open to suggestions, so if anyone else would like to add, I'm all ears.

11. holdwine

holdwine New Member

One interesting aspect of your idea is the humans-judging-humans thing.
    You could explore this having the two groups, the ones that believe in mankind and the ones that doesn't testing people to proove their respective point.
    That's more of a psychological war with some serious moral themes and dilemas, you also have Job's passage in the bible as a reference.
    Anyway, that's a take that I'm attracted to.