1. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Other Project Idea for Writing Project

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by badgerjelly, Jun 25, 2019.

I would like 1-3 writers to join me in a experiment.

The premise is that each writer, myself included, takes on the role of a character and tells the story from that singular perspective. This can involve maybe 2 or 3 characters and the other writer can stick to linking the narrations and focusing on scene setting etc.,.

I am not interested in “Comedy,” and/or generic fantasy (meaning goblins, elves and such), but I am very interested in unique creature creations and obscure landscapes and cultures - this is what I adore.

For the purposes of a starting point I am not really fond of hack and slash action either and certainly willing to use a real world setting, horror and/or sci-fi theme.

If interested post below.

Note: I am not interested in ‘planning’ this out because I want to see how we all feed of one another and interpret each others work using only the text provided. The only thing that will need to be agreed upon is the length and commitment.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Have you read through Character Chatroom? I'm curious about your idea. Possibly not qualified, but curious.

3. badgerjelly

I glanced at it. Interested in producing a finished piece fo writing not an endless stream of words. I was thinking something along the lines of characters A, B and C with the story running along a timeline that starts from A, then B, C then A again B and ending on C - with other writer to splice together ‘cut scenes’ and set up sense of time and place prior to each character.

So no communication just a straight run to the finish line with no idea of what the next person will write or what the setting will be.

4. Some Guy

Being a comparative noob, I might exasperate the collective, but I'd love to look in. Until then, maybe it's time someone schooled me on this collaboration thing? PM me, or message here, if you feel brave. :)

5. badgerjelly

I’m not exactly prone to collaborating myself - always preferred my own space to work in. I have contacted so eone on this forum recently and tried to get something started ... I will try and contact them again and see what can be done.

I’m not really comfortable with ‘structure’ laid down prior to writing. In this way I’d like people to just write anything they wish leading on from the previous writer - they can use one of the characters mentioned by the other person if they wish to or do something COMPLETELY different.

I personally would like to be the one splices the characters stories together and blending the writing styles as best I can ... but I’m happy to take the part of writing a character instead.

If you’re in that’s great! Just need a couple more to commit and then we can get the ball rolling. I’ve also been thinking that everyone could write their own two part stories for their character completely independently IF, and probably ONLY IF, I was the one splices them into one coherent narrative. I am confident I could even blend genres - it would be challenging, but that is why I’m here.

6. Some Guy

"Okay. Let us see where this goes... " - The Merovingian :D

7. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Interesting. Will you guys post the results here?

8. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Don't know if this idea is still in the works or even if it's too late to get on board, but I'd be happy to get involved if you like! I might need a little info on the kind of world you're setting this in and where to start with my character etc but I'd be happy to give it a go!

9. badgerjelly

T
    No one has thrown their hat into the ring yet. I’m still interested in doing this. The idea is that one person will write something and then present it to the next person in a relay style.

If someone takes the story down a path you didn’t anticipate, and it spoils your idea, hard luck! Adjust; duck and weave and do the best you can.

We can do this with three people.

The point for me is adjusting my style and ideas to fit someone else’s ideas and to structure around it. Those who prefer strict structure will benefit from having to adjust to the unknown. It seems like a win win for anyone up for a challenge.

10. The Piper

Sounds like a bit of fun and definitely a challenge, I'd be willing to do my part! Whenever this gets rolling count me in :)

badgerjelly likes this.
  11. badgerjelly

Just need one more person then :)

Then we have to set a strict time limit for each part of the writing. I don’t want to drag this out. My thinking was each person is given a maximum of two weeks to craft something (pref. writing somewhere between 1000-5000 words; I’m happy if people want to stick to a strict word limit - can be helpful). If someone finishes early they can just let the next person in line know.

So if we have two ‘circuits’ of writing then three of us should be done easily within 2-3 months (or less if all are okay with it).

No collaboration, yet the piece will be a collaboration! Haha!

12. badgerjelly

That was my plan. I’m not shy about showing my attempt, warts and all!

I imagine it may not work at every time, but I plan to do this MORE than once :)

Maverick_nc likes this.
  13. The Piper

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it!!

14. Maverick_nc

Well if you need another then I’m game. Sounds like a good fun exercise

badgerjelly likes this.
  15. badgerjelly

Okay, who wants to go first?

Only going to start if there is a hard commit from all involved. For starters are you both happy with time scale? Speaking for myself I would prefer if we all took max of 2 weeks per part, but I was hoping to get this done in about two months. Does that sound like a reasonable amount of time? That would mean a target of 10 days each per part.

16. The Piper

I've got until September before I've got a substantial amount going on so I've got no problems with committing to that. Timescale sounds good, 10 days sounds plenty for 1-5K. Having said that I don't think I'd like to start, not quite confident enough to be kicking this off but very happy to see where it starts and go from there!

17. badgerjelly

Okay. Don’t worry about where to start too much. I’ll start if no one else wants to, but the thing is you don’t necessarily have to place your character in the same place, or even in the same universe, as what I or anyone else thinks up. You can tie in a connection any way you wish - via theme, setting, plot, emotion, style or whatever you can come up with. The only restrictions are to not go into a world comically silliness and to think of where one part ends the other continues in temporal sequence from the other ... this will leave the person who goes last with the tough task of splices the threads together, so don’t be too shy eh? ;)

I imagine once we’ve all written our first part and can see each others approach we’ll be able to intuit a little better and, given luck and skill, mesh the monster together somehow? Guess we’ll see :)

18. Maverick_nc

I’m happy with the timeframe although I’m working in mainland UK for the next week so will probably be busy.
    Are we starting from a prompt or anything?
    Is @Some Guy getting involved too?

19. badgerjelly

I’ll
    I’ll PM later maybe they are?

Absolutely NO prompt. Don’t talk to each other about this at all. Talk only through your narrative :)

We just need to sort out the order we write in.

20. Some Guy

I haven't read all the posts yet. I got the PM and just jumped to the bottom to say, Yes.

I'm in. And I'll do the best I can. My ego wants to do well, but part of me wants to make a detailed impression in a brick wall!! I promise to make it entertaining, either way. :D

Maverick_nc likes this.
  21. badgerjelly

Sort out who goes first and last then fellows! I don’t care where I go in the order.

22. The Piper

Happy either second or last if that's okay with everyone.

23. Some Guy

As far as order, do we want to do any rounds if genre ideas or are we deliberately trying to mix?

24. Some Guy

Okay, for a non-author I'll take 3rd, unless there are objections?

25. The Piper

Second then unless @Maverick_nc is particularly unhappy to start!

ETA: I'd be happy to go first with just a little more idea of where we want this to start, I just feel more comfortable wrapping whatever I come up with into a genre/theme that's already decided than having to decide for everyone else! :D