Tags:
  1. bananafish

bananafish Member

Idea too weird?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by bananafish, Sep 8, 2017.

So I'm back with more strangeness. This is my same kids fantasy with falling stars that I asked about a few days ago. Much of this book is inspired by the incredibly complex but more than slightly weird fantasy worlds my younger siblings and I invented as kids. So we had these imaginary creatures known as the "Nuhs." They were short, round, furry gray creatures that walked on two legs and had trunks. The trunks grew as they aged. The babies just had little nubs while the elderly had trunks that dragged the ground. The best way I can describe this is like the Snuffleupagus on Sesame Street only much smaller, gray, and walked on two legs. They have their own language that mostly consists of a chanting sound like "Nuh," in varying syllables. They chant a lot and can be heard in the villages far away. They have a name for themselves, but no one else knows it and no one else can communicate with them, so they're known as the "Nuhs" to the outside world. Also they all have N names. Like, the chief of the society is Elder Neller. They live in caves that they've turned into little apartment complexes and are actually a peaceful, loving society but since no one can communicate with them, the other people find them a little creepy. But in the story my main character has to end up sleeping a night with them after he's on the run in the wilderness and he sees what they're really like.

So my only question is if something that came out of my 5-year-old brother's brain is frankly too weird to everyone else. I mean I think it's awesome but that's because it's my personal memory of something I used to play. I've even toned it down a little. We had a national anthem for them and everything but I have trimmed that out.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sounds interesting. Take it they are an agrarian culture, and quite
    peaceful by nature. Would be fine for kids, or in an alien petting
    zoo. :)

bananafish likes this.
  3. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Not too weird at all, in my opinion. When I was a kid I would have loved it.

bananafish likes this.