1. jps117

jps117 New Member

Lake Highlands Area, Dallas, Texas, United States

Idea!

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by jps117, Jun 5, 2008.

A forum section for *Drum Roll* Writing Prompts! It could have a sub-forum for each genre of writing. I think this would be a great feature, as it helps me (and probably some other people) to have a prompt. It makes the writing feel more like an assignment, and then I don't procrastinate. (Much.)

I think this would be a great addition to Writing Forums. Anyone else with me? Anything to add?

Please take this into consideration.

Jack

2. jps117

jps117 New Member

Woohoo! 2 supporters already. (If I include myself that is.) :eek:

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Actually, the contests are very good at that kind of thing. You can use the prompts that they give every week to gather good information. I would also recommend joining RPG's, and using the Ten Minute Writing Thread in the General Writing Forum. Both are very simple, and can help you with the different requirements for writing. Some word games have story posts in them, so it could be beneficial to go look through them and see if any can help you.

Or, maybe start a thread in General Writing called "Prompt Writing," and every week, give out a new prompt to write about or something, though it would be much like the short stories contests.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I can see a number of ways to accomplish this too, without creating another forum.

For writing ideas, we not only have the short story contests. We also have the associated theme suggestions thread.

As for periodic reminders, form a buddy group with one or two other members with similar writing interests. You can challenge each other with ideas, and also remind one another that you haven't written anything in a while, using the visitor messages.

As for the writing itself, you could use your blogs, or you could create a thread in Word Games for flash writing exercises. If an idea looks promising enough, develop it offline and put it in the Review Room to get ideas to amp up the writing.

The thing about adding additional forums is that they make the main page grow, incrementally. That has to be weighed against the benefit to the members, and how many members will collect that benefit. New foruns also add to the maintenance effort, and in certain views will increase the page load time.

5. jps117

jps117 New Member

Hmmm, the buddy group idea sounds good. I suppose I should've taken more time to think about this before I posted...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, but this way gets ideas from other prople as well.

7. jps117

jps117 New Member

Indeed.

8. asitaarka

asitaarka New Member

at a point directly above the center of the earth
    I agree with Oasis, it would be like the short story contests.

9. jps117

jps117 New Member

I think it would be quite different from the weekly contests, but that's just me.