1. ChrisGallagher

ChrisGallagher New Member

Realistic Goal?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ChrisGallagher, Apr 23, 2010.

A current novel I'm working on involves a global company which controls many areas of commerce (chiefly security systems), including weapons engineering. However they also *assist* many middle-eastern terrorist groups, with Al-Qaeda on their payroll. They fund terrorist attacks, then reap the rewards as their subsidiary companies get new customers.

However in my novel, they would work together with a rogue Russian politician, with several links in the Russian Defence Ministry. They provide him with $200,000,000 supposing that he can use Russian technology to seed the US and Europe with strategic nuclear devices*. However the company has a hidden agenda, which they have not revealed to the Russians.

I have thought about them making both the US and Russia going to war under the Mutual Assured Destruction concept, letting two subsidiary businesses of the global company provide both with weapons systems, and war tools, whilst the income goes to the chiefs of the main company.

That's my basic idea, I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Is it realistic? Believable? Interesting? Probably not original, but any ideas?

*The plot is much more elaborate, I'm just not revealing too much

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I realize you've heard this before, but here goes anyway.

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

What it comes down to in this case is whether you can make the reader believe it. If the first draft doesn't sell the conspiracy, rework it.

Why do you think that if you ask the same question repeatedly about the same story, you'll get different answers if you simply reword the summary?

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Is it realistic?

I don't know. How do plan to tell it?

Is it believable?

I don't know. How do you plan to make me believe it?

Is it interesting?

I don't know. How do you plan to keep my interest?

4. alexwebb

alexwebb Member

What they said. But there's one way to find out for sure. Start writing it! It will either start to flow or not.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of that!

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

This sounds quite plausible to me, except that ideally the war would do as little damage as possible while spurring as much military buying from the nations as possible. Something like the Cold War, which - as far as i know - was very profitable for the military industrial complex. However, if the goal is profit ultimately, you're going to limit your long-term revenue if your client nations are decimating ea/o, so an extended, low-intensity conflict would probably be preferable to an all out nuclear war.
    I mean, what's the point of being rich if the world is f*cked up? Kinda reminds of SOP from MGS4 in a way: perpetuating endless conflict for the sake of the military industry.

Idk if that's what you're going for but no, it doesn't sound overtly unbelievable to me.

7. MJ Preston

MJ Preston Banned

Sounds like you've got an outline, but what you need is a focal point to start from. Where do you want to start your story? From what point of view? Who will be the main character?

Sit down, start writing, and you'll know if it's feasable before long.