1. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

Imortality...?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Faith*Hope*Love, Jul 27, 2009.

Okay so I have this really good plot, and the beginning chapter and preface of my story are at a good start (link in signature)
    But where do I go from here? The basic outline is about a girl whose mother dies, then discovers she is immortal. Then finds out the one way to kill herself and has to choose to be with her mother in eternity or spend her destiny on earth fighting for the lives of many. And of course there are romantic twists. I need help, this is all i have so far, what goes in the middle? I know the writer is supposed to come up with this by themselves, but I am so lost right now. *sigh*

2. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

I take it the mother dies early on in the story? If so, have the girl go through a stage where she considers joining her mother. In the end, life wins out as she believes that life is extremely sacred.

You'll then need to fill the middle with either a few small conflicts, or one large one. It should follow the theme touched upon in the initial chapters. So, have her fighting for the lives of some people, obviously using her immortality to her advantage.

In my opinion, the plot isn't that strong. You have no villain, nothing to offset this girl. You need some sort of conflict. Either girl vs another person, girl vs God, or girl vs herself. There needs to be a conflict.

Good luck with it, I might pop in later and have a read of your beginning.

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Are you writing a short story, or something longer?

From 'here' you just need to write what you have. You can add stuff later, if needed, to strenghten or fix the plot. You can't fix what was never written.

Why a scar? I'm just wondering.

4. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

thanks you two, it helped a lot, oh i was just writing that off the top of my head LKE, lol sorry. ::)

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If you want a literary reality check on the theme of immortality, pick up a copy of Arthur C Clarke's The City and the Stars. By today's standards, a novelette, so I would read it a few times to let the ideas sink in.

6. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Also, could I just point out that an interesting plot device would be the fact that she wouldn't be sure that she would join her mum after death?

7. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

well, its an obvious choice for her considering her mother dies early on in the story.

8. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Nonono, I meant about there being no guarantee of an afterlife. :redface:

9. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

Oh, well okay that makes more sense then. Haha :)

10. Roland of Gilead

Roland of Gilead New Member

Also, one conflict for her: she realizes that she will outlive everyone she cares about.

11. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Is your universe a moral one? If so, perhaps killing herself might be a sin, so she would not join her mother but rather end up in Hell. Wanting to die, but not wanting to go to Hell - looks like a paradox.

12. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Seriously, if she quits out on life to be with her mother, you have no story. In fact, it's a lot LESS romantic to do it that way, because it's just "taking the easy way out". What she probably should do is to try to better the world, in her mother's honor.

I just hope you weren't considering killing off your character. At least not early on. Or something. Maybe towards the end.

That's your call. But she should be trying to help the world if she's going to have the capability to do so.

13. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

A part of the conflict could be in the secret of her immortality. If she has managed to discover the path to her death, her enemies would also have the chance to discover it.

If, just as an example, the method of her death involved a weapon on display in a museum, she would probably visit it often since she would know that the weapon would be the only thing that could kill her. Her enemies would likely follow her, once she became known to them of course, and wonder why she spent most of her time staring at one particular weapon.

I am assuming that her discovery of her immortal status was due to a failed attempt to take her own life. If that is the case, perhaps she had a vision or out of body experience during it. This vision might show her the weapon's history or something of the sort.

I just had a thought that the final showdown between your heroine and her villians could be at the museum. Either accidentally or deliberately, the villian gets a hold of the weapon that can kill her but she has to stop him from killing someone she cares about...

Of course, this would all hang on the method of her death being a weapon...

Good luck with it!

14. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

How about the way the mother dies, giving her conflicting reasons for staying, for example if the mother was murdered, she could want to die to join her, but also have a desire to get revenge in some way, which in turn could lead to her discovering a higher calling, or maybe the mother sacrificed herself in some way to save her and create the immortality, so although she desires to die, the sacrifice her mother made weighs upon her and she doesn't want to sour that memory?