1. Holo

Holo New Member

Ideas for organization of a werewolf pack?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Holo, Nov 10, 2011.

So I have the basics down such as an alpha wolf with a second-in-command or beta and there is basically a hierarchy within the pack, but there are a lot of aspects of werewolf pacts that I'm working on and I need some ideas and suggestions. For example, what kind of jobs would werewolves have? I doubt they'd be the CEO's of companies or something like that. And I'm sure they'd have jobs within the pack as well. Like one wolf would play messenger to other packs in the area for the alpha or something. But I need some ideas and job titles within and outside of the pack that seem somewhat realistic.

2. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

You make it sound as if they were employed. Are you talking about in wilderness or in a modern society? You have the social order down, so the jobs shouldn't be a problem, by the sounds of your description. In a modern-day society, they're basically human when they need to be, so you can place them wherever the story would put them. In a wilderness-exclusive situation, a title doesn't really make a difference. A strong, healthy wolf lives to do what it needs to, and the other ones are butted out of the pack or are given only the scraps. The main concept of wolves everyone recognizes is PACKS. Wolves act as a team and a unit, and depending on the numbers of the pack, they'll all participate in any hunts, any fights (except for, maybe, someone coming to challenge the Alpha Male), et cetera. It's that concept of cooperation that makes the wolf pack such a lethal force. The phrase "lone wolf?" Complete idiocy, in my opinion. Maybe this would change with sentient werewolf creatures, but that's up to you- the only person who knows what the story is supposed to be.

3. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

Why couldn't your werewolves have normal jobs? If they're classic monsters that only turn into werewolves for a few nights each month, there's no reason why they couldn't hold onto a job. You could even juxtapose things by having the alpha male be a janitor in the day, whilst one of the more junior members of the pack is a CEO.
    It's your world, full of fantasy creatures, so you can largely make up what you like.

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Alcide Herveaux from the Sookie Stackhouse novels is the CEO of a company (after his dad dies, that is). He's actually somewhat famous. And a werewolf.

Werewolves have whatever job they can eke out a living from, though. Then again, it depends on how they are. If they have grounds to go and hunt on at every full moon, good stuff. But if they're in the middle of the city, they might have problems. Especially if they're big monsters instead of just wolves. Personally, if I was a killing monster, I probably wouldn't function well in society. I'd be liable to go and live in the woods and kill the hell out of everything until I eventually die.

That's where you're wrong. Lone wolves exist. It's just that they're the ones ousted from the pack for their age, or for lameness, or a weakness of some other description. The pack is like a chain with the proverb "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" being extremely suitable.
    So the general usage of "lone wolf" (as though it's a good thing) is pretty idiotic, but the phrase itself is fine.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Honestly this is all up to you. And who is to say a werewolf cant be a CEO? They can be whatever you want them to be. I would go outside the norm with this.