1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Announcement **Ideas for Poetry Contest Revamp 2018**

Discussion in 'Monthly Poetry Contest' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Oct 5, 2018.

Hello everyone! It's time yet again for another Poetry Contest Revamp! If you have any ideas for how the poetry contests could be improved feel free to leave them down below. Instead of doing a poll this time around I'll determine what ideas get implemented by the amount of support they receive on this thread by likes and such.

This thread will remain open until the end of October, so it should give everyone plenty of time to get their ideas in. Thanks!

2. theoriginalmonsterman

As for one concept that's already been previously mentioned, I believe that in the future if there's any tiebreakers I will use my own vote to break the tie to ensure we don't fall off schedule.

OurJud, Mark Burton and 8Bit Bob like this.
  3. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Dang ol' boo, man. Contributor

I definitely like that idea. It always stinks when a poetry contest has to be pushed back for another tie breaker.

Mark Burton and dbesim like this.
  4. katina

katina Active Member

One other idea is to allow more then one winner if there is a tie break.
    It is easy and straight forward.
    I personally never understood where there is only one winner. More then one should be allowed just to make a difference.
    If two or three are up then so be it. This means celebration of team work rather individual ones.

5. 8Bit Bob

I'm going to be honest, I don't think more than one winner is a good idea. The only reason I suggested it was because I didn't want a third tie breaker, but we've already found a solution to that. Not only is it technically impossible (I think) to award a medal to more then one person with the way it's currently set up, I just don't see the point of having two or three "winners". No one wins if everyone does ;):)

ETA: I know you didn't mean for everyone to win, but you get my point :p

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. theoriginalmonsterman

I'm not against this, but I believe for the sake of keeping things simple it's better just to have one winner. Also I'm unaware of how that would work with medals.

katina and 8Bit Bob like this.
  7. katina

katina Active Member

It was just an idea. I think the medals will just be the same. Or perhaps different colours but with the same
    awards. :)

8. 8Bit Bob

I think he means it it might be difficult on a technical side because of the way they're currently programmed/set up ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    katina likes this.
  9. katina

katina Active Member

Oh I see. Thank you for letting me know haha. :)

8Bit Bob likes this.
  10. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

How about a critique competition? Take some poem and then have people go at it. Reward the “best” critique.

11. theoriginalmonsterman

Interesting, but how does one discern what makes one critique triumph over another?

12. badgerjelly

How does discern what makes a good poem over another? Personal judgement.

13. theoriginalmonsterman

I suppose, poetry does have some defining qualities you can attest to though, whereas critiques are solely based upon one's own opinions, the only thing that differs from one critique from another is how well-written it is, and perhaps what the critique focuses on for feedback. It's not necessarily a bad idea, but if we're going to focus on a contest where everyone gives their own opinions on a matter, I think something along the lines of an analysis contest would be fitting. We could choose a poem, perhaps one voted upon, and then provide some criteria to help give everyone a direction to go by when composing their analytical pieces. Although this is just a thought, and I probably won't implement either of these ideas unless there's a decent amount of support for them.

Even so, I think that something like this would require it's own separate contest forum, with another contest administer to be dedicated to it.

14. badgerjelly

I was thinking along the lines of informative critique fro some famous poems.

Vote for the one you found most useful/well written and easy to grasp.

Note: just an idea

15. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

One idea is to suggest a concrete object as opposed to themes / image prompts. The poem then has to refer to said object in some significant way. Or, a single word is given and the poem(s) must include it.

8Bit Bob likes this.
  16. theoriginalmonsterman

Well this could be just incorporated along with the themes pretty easily. I guess it has been awhile since I've just had a specific object as a theme. Maybe I can do that for the next contest.

OurJud and 8Bit Bob like this.
  17. badgerjelly

Also, how about giving a title for poem and letting people work form there? Also maybe add word limits occassionally?

theoriginalmonsterman likes this.
  18. theoriginalmonsterman

Well that's pretty much the same as what I do now for themes to some extent, and as for word limits... it seemed a good portion of the writing community seemed against having any sort of limitations presented within the contests. This is one of the reasons why I removed required poetry styles, and kept it just to strictly to themes. The more limitations there are the less people are likely to enter contests, so I think I'll keep limitations to a minimum. Perhaps maybe I'd do something like that occasionally for something like the "National Poetry Month" contests where I deliberately strive to create more challenging contests. As you can see with those contests though barely anyone entered them, so I'm still kind of against it.

Not trying to be rude, because I actually do like creating more challenging contests. But if I do contests that are too challenging, and nobody enters them, then it kills the point of having them. They're really meant more for fun, so I try to keep it that way.