Ideas for unusual weapons/defenses on a futuristic super soldier suit

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Btros, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    There was actually a real program to develop a gas bomb that made the enemy gay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Can't find the basic link, but here's some footage of Royal Marines on acid:

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

The Brown Note is a myth anyway.

Unfortunately.

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I think you're missing the whole point of entanglement. If you measure one particle, you instantly know the value of the other, there is no need to look at the other no matter where it is. The basic idea is that the two particles become describable as a single function f(x). If you collapse the function so that you measure the property of one particle to be y, mathematically, the only value the second particle could have is f(x) - y.

I tend to also be fine with things like FTL travel because it's just a means to get to the meat of the story. The FTL engine is just there and doing what it does, it's not critical to any part of the plot. I can at least conceive of modifications to general relativity to allow for such things, but I hate plot points like when characters have magical ESP powers. Deanna Troi is probably the character I hate the most in Star Trek. Her presence is fine, but in the few episodes where her abilities were central to the plot, I just can't stand. Oh, you can hear an alien light years away? How exactly did your species evolve this ability through natural selection or even genetic engineering? The Borg I get, they have technology embedded in them that grants them similar powers, but what in your squishy animal brain lets you do that?

A power that I've used with my own characters that don't see very often in hard scifi is the ability to summon creatures. It's a common trope in fantasy stories where magicians can summon monsters, animals, and even the dead, but not so much in scifi. Personally, I gave one of my characters the ability to talk to a distributed computer system, which in turn can control billions of nanomachines, which can both create new copies of themselves and link together to form larger structures. It allows my character to summon hundreds of animal-like machines in seconds.

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Deanna Troi: "Sir, he's hiding something."
    Picard: "We know that, you stupid cow!"

(this exchange actually happened, although obviously, it was a joke between the actors)

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

You do know, but you also don't know, because of the way we have to measure these particles, the we don't always get different answers from the different detectors measuring the particles. If you measure particle A, because of spin configuration, there's pretty much a 50% chance that detector B will read that particle as having the same spin, meaning there's roughly a 50% chance of measuring either particle as having either spin up or spin down, which means that in either detector the results you get are completely random and you actually have to compare notes between the two detectors, and even then you'd only see that the random answer A was directly opposite to random answer B.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I suppose when we understand more about dark matter/energy, things will change on
    known speed limits maybe?

8. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

Going more into the organic side....
    Some kind of stinging cells or gas weapon that can paralyse or kill.
    Insect-like drones that are "hatched" within the suit, go scouting and then return to the "hive" to relay what it knows.
    A parasitic control module that can turn a living or newly dead creature into a controllable "zombie".
    The ability to produce an organic acid or fungus that can quickly break down objects (useful for sabotage or escape)
    Producing silky strands strong enough to climb or swing with, or bind someone. Overuse of this power may get you sued by Sony.

Some Guy and Btros like this.