Idiosyncrasies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What? A prejudice against Lounge Lizards? Without Lounge Lizards, polyester suits and cheap toupees would be homeless!

2. SAN

SAN New Member

I don't have a 'pop culture mentality' in any way, shape or form. For example, I have never liked the Beatles... there's a lot more, but people are usually so horrified when I say I don't like the Beatles that I'll just leave it right there.

I like QUIET. I seldom turn on the TV before 4 PM, I would prefer NO radio on in the car, and I hate loud music. I don't understand why so many people have to have some kind of freaking NOISE going all the time. Listening to your own head isn't a bad thing, honest.

When I'm involved in writing, I resent having to stop to eat and sleep.

The bed has to be 'just so' or I can't get in it to sleep.

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I white-lie alot in conversations, just to make them more interesting, or I exaggerate a scenario by adding some less-than-truths to it.
    It's never malacious though, I only lie creatively. Lawl.

4. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

You're not alone. I don't necessarily not like them, I just don't see what all the hooting and hollering was about.

5. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I concur!

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Since I adore the Beatles, I can't concur. :D

7. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

There are more people with that particular quirk than me?!? And here I thought I was unique :(

8. Gigi_GNR

I make it a point to always tell the truth in conversations, because at some point somebody's gonna call you out on your lies. Never happened to me, but I always want to be as honest as possible. If they like me as me and not for my lies, that's what I want. Not hating on you if you lie, though. :D

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm very particular about my folding, too. Not just towels, clothes too. Sometimes Joel tries to help with the laundry, and then I have to very quietly refold everything he folded because he folds it wrong. :rolleyes:

Haha sorry! I have to be very careful about drinking things while I'm reading things on the forum for that same reason.

10. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Don't fall for it! He knows perfectly well the proper way to fold laundry!

I did the exact same thing in my marriage. If I did a crappy job, I wasn't allowed to fold laundry anymore. Poor me, eh?

I'm a bastard sometimes. :D

11. hiddennovelist

LMAO! I would be suspicious, except the only time he usually helps with the laundry is when we're in a huge hurry and I'm trying to get the last of it folded before we go somewhere. We have an arrangement-he cooks, I do the laundry and clean. So usually I won't let him help me.

12. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

It's the opposite for me, Hidden. I never fold my laundry, and my boyfriend always yells at me for it.

13. hiddennovelist

I don't think Joel would care if the laundry never got folded, to be honest. I have to put all his clothes away...otherwise, he would just leave them all laying on the bed in our spare bedroom. Easier access that way, I guess.

14. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Apparently I look sad all the time without that I notice. Sometimes my mother asks me why I'm looking so sad, and I'm like: What?

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I suppose it's an idiosyncracy, butr I always make my bed every morning, whether or not anyone would see it.

When I was married, my wife NEVER made the bed. She would even get pissed off if I made the bed, because that was clearly a criticism of her. A messy bed once in a while isn't a big deal, but it's nice to have it neat once in a while.

So having the freedom to tidy up the room at the beginning of my day became a symbol of my emancipation, and something I take a certain pleasure in.

16. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

When I find myself doing a boring, quiet or monotonous task, I start making sound effects.

17. Gigi_GNR

My mom always does that to me too. I'll be staring into space, perfectly content, and she'll ask me why I'm so sad.

18. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

When I'm feeling in a chipper mood I'll often find myself cheerfully singing songs like "I am a poor wayfaring stranger."

19. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I do that sometimes if I'm testing something for something I want to write about, particularly my latest one, which is all about lying... I want to see if I can make it believable. I dont do it recreationally though... although I am known to exaggerate. :redface: That's something that I've done since I was very little because I was an attention hog.

Other idiosyncracies... hmm. Well, I'll frequently start dancing to the music in my head? :D Another might be that the strings on my hoodies have to be of equal length. I have gone so far to cut through the hood, even them out, and sew the hood back up to make them even.

Sometimes, and this one is only when I'm around people I'm extremely comfortable with and in the privacy of a home, I might just start crawling around. At the risk of sounding mentally impaired, I only began picking that habit up when I was around twelve. At age twelve, I had a sickness called fifth disease (which isnt really a disease; more like a "dis-ease") which turned me to the colour of a beet and robbed me of the ability to walk for a month or so. I began crawling around the house... became quite a talented crawler. Haha. :p

Hmm... what else. Just some other OCD stuff. When I'm listening to or watching something, and the volume runs on numbers, the number has to be a multiple of five.

I guess that's it. I guess I'm rather normal.

20. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I tend to white-lie too, but only to people who I'm not especially friends with. Never lie to my good friends.

Unfortunately, one lie tends to lead to another, so eventually I have someone who thinks I'm a half-Yugoslavian Scotsman with a fetish for leather and a motorbike.

We actually held a bet once to see if we could make everyone in the room think we were actually teachers who were on their day off. :D

21. hiddennovelist

First of all, that dis-ease does not sound like much fun at all. But at least it taught you to crawl well. ;)

Second, the multiple of five thing? *points to self* Do that too.

Oh! And when I go to the bathroom, I have to check that the door is locked three times before I'll trust that it's locked.

If the shower curtain is closed when I go to the bathroom, I check inside the shower to make sure no one is in there. If it's open, I have to close it before I can go.

22. SAN

SAN New Member

When I check the mail, I HAVE to tap the mailbox three times. It's not the end of the world if I don't. but then the next time I have to tap it three times for the time I forgot, tap my leg once, then tap the mailbox three times again for checking it right then.

When I finish adding sweetener and cream to my coffee or tea, I HAVE to take the first taste from the spoon I used to stir with. This only applies to coffee and tea, not to cold drinks or other drinks, like cocoa.

It's multiples of FOUR! Has to be an even number!

I count things. Ladder rungs, fence posts, panes of glass, all sides of doors including the frame... you get the idea.

23. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    I have roaming hands. I don't intend to, but I'm always picking up things and putting them down elsewhere. Then later when I’m looks for said thing I can never find it.

I have a strange obsession with blutack.

24. hiddennovelist

I fold paper in half. Without noticing. Anytime I'm holding a piece of paper, I have to fold it in half. It just needs to happen, I guess, cause I can't control it.

25. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I do the paper folding thing, too, but not with paper. Only with aluminum foil. :confused: :p