Idiosyncrasies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 30, 2009.

1. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

LOL I don't think I've ever folded aluminum foil. But at least I'm not the only one who has a weird folding obsession.

2. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Nope. I make very basic origami animals which scraps of paper and usually don't realize I'm even doing it. (seriously)

3. hiddennovelist

It's so nice knowing that I'm not alone!:)

Everyone at work makes fun of me for it.

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I have destroyed hundreds of memos that way. You're not alone.

5. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I am the same, except it must be either a multiple of five or an even number.

When I'm just sitting or standing around, my feet will start moving in rhythm to music I'm listening to in my head.

My only other major one, is when I'm doing something that requires some concentration like typing or cooking, or even just listening to music through headphones, I hate having other people around me.

6. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

I don't like go to the bathroom unless there's noise... the heater has to be on, or the exhaust fan, the faucet, tv... just something.

When I get into the shower, I pour water along the sides so I can stick and seal the plastic shower curtain closed. I feel cold otherwise. I also brush my teeth in the shower. And sometimes paint my toes.

I can't change in front of my cats. I feel like they're staring at me.

When people are eating around me, there has to be noise. I can not stand to hear people chew. Sometimes I can't stand to hear myself chew.

I still have a blankie I sleep with. I take it with me where ever I sleep. My grandma makes fun of me.

We have a lot of chickens, so we get a lot of eggs. Sometimes we can't sell all of them, so to keep my grandma from eating old ones and just because it's fun, I'll take a basket of tiny eggs and throw them against the concrete behind our house. It's a lot of fun to hear them crack from so far away, and watch them spatter. I can also walk through the hen house barefoot and not even lose my appetite. But, I don't think that's a quirk. That's just me being gross.

I can eat worms. And bugs. And still not lose my appetite.

I can't fry bacon. I don't know why; I can cook plenty of things, but I can't fry bacon. Last time I tried, it literally crumbled into ash. No white lie. And you know what? My dad didn't even lose his appetite. If you go out to a fire pit, and eat some ash, I promise my bacon would not taste any better. My dad ate that.

I'll only add one more thing, but I've already mentioned it in another thread. I still hide my eyes when there's kissing on TV. I'm such a two year old. Guys scare me still, too.

7. hiddennovelist

^I turn on the sink when I go to the bathroom so Joel can't hear me pee.

And if the cat is in the bathroom, I make him leave. Can't pee in front of animals. Or people. If I have to go to the bathroom at work and someone is in another stall, I wait until they leave.

8. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

I didn't go number two for a week at camp for that reason. We had out houses there.

I hate hearing, "Why do you care if someone hears you? It's natural!!"

9. hiddennovelist

Dude, my fiance says that to me all the time, but I don't care how natural it is. We've lived together for over a year and a half now, and I've never even passed gas in front of him. Won't do it. No way.

10. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I know know WAY too much about you two.

11. hiddennovelist

Haha cause you didn't already know too much about me after the whole bra conversation the other night... :p

12. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

When I'm in the bathroom, I always open the shower curtain. There's something unnerving to me about standing with my back to a closed curtain.

13. hiddennovelist

Do you have a window in your shower? Growing up, we had a big-ish window, and that's why I always had to close the curtain. Closed shower curtain=scary, but wondering if someone can see through the window is worse.

Also, my brother had a nightmare when we were younger where this guy was just sitting on his window sill, staring into the room, and when my brother saw him, he just gave this slow, creepy smile, and then he started to open the window. Yes, it was my brother's nightmare. And yes, it scared me more than him. Windows without curtains, especially at night, freak me out.

14. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I dislike sleeping next to an non-covered window at night. Makes me feel uneasy. I don't mind it if it's lighter outside than it is inside. Then I know that no one can possibly see in without pressing their face to the window.

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I can't read if there's any noise. Like, at all. I take a book into the living room with the TV on and try to read, I can't do it. Same with a car, or anything else that surrounds me with noise. Other noises--like leaves, other people, etc--are fine, but any radio or TV-type stuff, no. It doesn't work.

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not really sure if this one counts as an idiosyncrasy, but I am a staunch, diehard, spelling reformist.

Oooooo, child! If I had my way, dictionaries of the English language would find themselves most decidedly changed.

17. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I have a solution! Start your own language! :D

Wreynese. :p

18. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Sounds cool... :D

19. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I would like to see that.

I'll bet 'nom' would be in the dictionary and used as a commonplace word. ;)

YOU SEE?! This is why I was so freaked out with my dream the other day. I actually have three sets of curtains in my room for precisely this purpose. (Note: I only have one window. :D ) I dont like blinds --they look ugly to me. So I have two sets of curtains for the one window; that way I feel nice and secure when I'm going to bed.

The third set of curtains function as the door for my closet. I guess that's another idiosyncracy --I have a thing about doors... I dont like them much. The only door I do like is my bedroom door, because it keeps all the bad guys out while I sleep. :p

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I can't fall asleep unless I have a proper "bedding"--which means a blanket and pillow. I can't sleep without either.

I also can't fall asleep until I've brushed my teeth.

21. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

At first I couldn't admit these... but then I said to myself, "What they heck? You can't see them laugh!"

I'm a bit of a complexion freak. And... I use nose pore cleaning stripes to keep my nose nice and perty... I go so far as to shove toilet paper up my nose so the pores stick out and the stripes work better. It's like putting paper mache (spelling?) on your nose. (I am blushing. So embarrassing...)

I also lick the bowl after I'm done eating ice cream if no one is around....

22. hiddennovelist

I lick the bowl even if people are around. Ice cream is just that good. :)

And I'm actually going to try your toilet paper technique next time I use the pore cleaning strips.

23. Demief

Demief New Member

I had a wierd habit of whenever i sat down i would start bouncing my right knee. I didn't even notice i was doing it until a friend noticed.

I will always protest at having to go get my hair cut, yet i dont mind during it and i admit it's better afterwards.

I sometimes ask people to repeat themselves and then interrupt them with the answer before they can. i'm trying to break this annoying habbit.

24. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

What? Yeah. Me too.

25. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I curse a whole, whole lot in conversation. I'm one of those people what use the 'MF-word' more often than 'the' or 'a'.