1. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit New Member

Removing citations when quoting

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by The Byzantine Bandit, May 18, 2013.

So I want to quote a paragraph with a bunch of citation numbers in it. Is it okay if I remove those when quoting? Does there need to be some sort of marker where they were taken out? Thanks!

Also, if a word is split between lines with a hyphen, it's fine to remove the hyphen when quoting, right?

2. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

I'm not 100% sure on that first one but I'm pretty sure that's fine. If they're direct quotations in your source, APA format at least requires you say "as cited in..." If it's just paraphrased or offhandedly mentioned, I don't think it's an issue. :)

The hyphen thing is just formatting so it's perfectly fine to remove, just like it's fine to change line spacing and line length. :)

3. The Byzantine Bandit

Ignore this please.

4. The Byzantine Bandit

Not sure we're on the same page. I mean if it's from like the middle of the document and looks like this:
    When quoted, can it be written as
    ?

Thank you very much!

5. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

I think we were on the same page but I just didn't do a good job of explaining such. :) Sorry about that.

Examples are awesome.

If you are going to use this entire paragraph, this is what I would do (and I've not been marked off by any college instructors for this but most of them have been fairly lax unfortunately, so not sure how useful this is...):

When you quote something that has quotes inside of it, those inside quotes get demoted to single quotes ( ' ). And I don't believe you have to keep the citation numbers or anything. I never have.

Hopefully I got it this time. :D

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since the numbers refer to footnotes or an appendix of sources, if you are not going to include those, leaving the numbers in would make no sense...

however, you do need to cite the source of the entire quote and put it in " " with ' ' around the interior quotes, as noted above...

and i agree there is no sense in leaving the hyphen in where a word was split at the end of a line, as that would confuse readers of your piece...

7. The Byzantine Bandit

Thanks to both of you!